Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garage door opener on my Road King

Default Garage door opener on my Road King

Well, in stead of being bitter about the weather being too cold to ride on one of the few days when my wife and kids are out of town (I'm meeting them in Florida tomorrow), I decided to finally get my garage door opener mod working after a couple of attempts on my Road King.

Cross posting from HDForums: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/750448-garage-door-opener-good-location-for-a-road-king.html

I
    suppose I *could* ride in 43 degrees, but I got spoiled the last couple of weeks, I'm just not up for all the gear, etc. right now.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

I've done similar a few times but now I just keep the clicker in my pocket.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I got one from HD for fathers day last year. Just installed it... easiest 15 min mod I've ever done, now with the flash of my headlight coming down the road from about 150 ft, I don't even have to slow down to wait for the door... I'd prolly never buy one myself, but since it was bought for me, wth...

Quote Originally Posted by chaingunner View Post
    I got one from HD for fathers day last year. Just installed it... easiest 15 min mod I've ever done, now with the flash of my headlight coming down the road from about 150 ft, I don't even have to slow down to wait for the door... I'd prolly never buy one myself, but since it was bought for me, wth...
    The HD one requires it's own module plugged into the garage opener itself... correct?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    The HD one requires it's own module plugged into the garage opener itself... correct?
    No, if I'm not mistaken it has a unit that you plug in in your garage, that unit transmits to the door opener, and the crap on your bike transmits to the unit.

If someone buys it for you I guess its worth the $129, but mine cost me about $20 max, and I get to use my MacGyver skillz, LOL.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442250285&FO LDER<>folder_id=2534374309436836&ASSORTMENT<>ast_i d=2534374309436836&CONTENT<>cnt_id=101341986747788 61&locale=en_US&bmUID=1333661309401&bmLocale=en_U S

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J02028.pdf

Last edited by Kosher; 04-05-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Right... 2 pieces to make the HD units work. The unit you hook up to your garage opener then the pice you install on the bike.

Yeah most of the door openers run on 12v anyway, I did it once and had it on my horn... but it actually drained too much power so horn wouldn't function... then it somehow fried the door opener... never tried again... LOL
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Gas man, that's correct. You just wire it to the same terminals that your manually operated button hooks up to. Easy peasy.

Kosher, Yes. I would have went the cheap way, in fact, I will be on the Dog....

Yeah that's what i thought. But like you said, it's a bunch of coin... I'll just keep the opener in my pocket.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

I'm gonna try a kick button in the fairing lowers right above the brake. then just wire it to the opener tucked behind the speaker in my lower. I bought a pretty hardy momentary button at a cycle swap meet a while back and I think it will deal with the abuse.
    Caveman

Here's my 10, my 2 are free