Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISO: Helmet

Default ISO: Helmet

Hey all,
    Thinking of taking an MSF course this spring/summer and all I lack is the required helmet (and gloves, but I can probably pick up a cheap pair on sale). This is just a temp thing for the course so I don't need anything fancy; if I ever start riding for real I'll go out and get myself one brand-new. Just seems pointless to spend a couple hundred bucks on something I may never wear more than one day in my life.

I have a smallish head (where should I be measuring and I can give exact measurements) so I could probably fit either a women's or youth size. Prefer full-face in case I hit the pavement (I'm not pretty but I do still prefer my face attached to the rest of my skull), would really prefer to avoid anything even remotely pink (though I know it's hard to find a women's helmet that isn't) but I can't afford to be picky.

I could and probably will be checking Craigslist, but would rather check here first rather than try to sort out idiots and yahoos on CL who are selling helmets they've dropped, kicked, and run over with their cars, y'know?

I live in southern Oakland Co. but I work near the airport so Romulus area would be fine as well.

(Of course, my other option is to browse the uber-clearance section of the gear sites as sometimes I'll find stuff there pretty cheap and even occasionally in my size [for example: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...e_helmet.html], but is it a good idea to buy without trying on, even if I measure carefully?)

TIA!

Your biggest problem is that you need to try a few on. Some are molded for round like a basket ball head and some more so for the egg shell heads. So a pure measurement only may not be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Katharine View Post
    Hey all,
    Thinking of taking an MSF course this spring/summer and all I lack is the required helmet (and gloves, but I can probably pick up a cheap pair on sale). This is just a temp thing for the course so I don't need anything fancy; if I ever start riding for real I'll go out and get myself one brand-new. Just seems pointless to spend a couple hundred bucks on something I may never wear more than one day in my life.

I have a smallish head (where should I be measuring and I can give exact measurements) so I could probably fit either a women's or youth size. Prefer full-face in case I hit the pavement (I'm not pretty but I do still prefer my face attached to the rest of my skull), would really prefer to avoid anything even remotely pink (though I know it's hard to find a women's helmet that isn't) but I can't afford to be picky.

I could and probably will be checking Craigslist, but would rather check here first rather than try to sort out idiots and yahoos on CL who are selling helmets they've dropped, kicked, and run over with their cars, y'know?

I live in southern Oakland Co. but I work near the airport so Romulus area would be fine as well.

(Of course, my other option is to browse the uber-clearance section of the gear sites as sometimes I'll find stuff there pretty cheap and even occasionally in my size [for example: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...e_helmet.html], but is it a good idea to buy without trying on, even if I measure carefully?)

TIA!
    Hey Girl.....Maybe someone on the forum has an extra helmet they might be will to let you use for your riding coarse. I have an extra dot half helmet but it's in an XL. Sounds like its to big for you but your more than welcome to it. Riding gloves I have (fingerless) you can use those if you want. No sense in buying any gear if your undecided on riding.

Maybe someone will chime in with a small sized helmet you can use for a weekend..

Trying on is by far the best. If you do not know anyone that you might borrow from, check some of the Cycle gear supplier sites and those that sell helmets will have sizing charts to go along with them. Spend a weekend roaming the Motorcycle stores in your area and try on as many as you can. Some call this "shopping", my S.O. can't seem to get enough of it! I have some in smaller sizes but am out in Algonac, which would be quite a drive for you.
    Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! Growing old is mandatory- growing up is OPTIONAL! I.B.A. #26543.

Yeah, I didn't think about asking people I know to borrow. Nobody I'm close to, but I might know of at least one person.

I hate to say this... but you can even find cheap helmets at meijer & walmart.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Go to a dealer and try a few on just to figure out what size you need than you could probably order one online. Motorcycle Superetore has full face Bell Arrow helmets clearenced for like $60.

There ya go... like Remo said... but either way you will need to put in some leg work.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    I hate to say this... but you can even find cheap helmets at meijer & walmart.
    I had a buddy buy a full face helmet from Meijers to take the MSF course with (I forget which brand they carry). Anyways he ended up using it as a street helmet after he got endorsed and got a bike and went down pretty hard on his bike while wearing that helmet. Lucky for him it held up good and he walked away with a little road rash and a bruised ego. Not saying they are the best but it should still do it's job in the event of an accident.

Yeah if they meet DOT they meet DOT, it don't matter what brand it is.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"