Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working for dollars, paying in Sterling

Default Working for dollars, paying in Sterling

Good morning!
    Thought I'd drop a note and let you know I'm still alive. In fact I'll be back next week for a quick visit.

Anyways, I finally stumbled upon something to put in the garage. The right combination of cheap and cool. I'm just starting to put together a game plan. BTW - bike prices over here are fucking nuts! Mid 90's Sportsters go for around 9 grand, '70's Triumphs for 8 & a half.

Behold, "Hurricane" (working title. This will be my wife's bobber and she's from New Orleans).

Traded 650 pieces of pretty paper for her.

Took it apart in a parking lot and stuffed it into the station wagon.

Came with a few wheels that I can play with or sell to fund additional bits & bobs.

The most expensive part on the bike is a rare Frances Barnett tank. I could definitely sell it for a pretty penny but I like the way it looks.

First thing to do is go buy some tools and sort out a lift/table.

Chris

Very nice Chris! I'm thinkin it's gonna look killer when your done with it. The pic of your bike in pieces in the back of your wagon is priceless!!

Awesome and awesome pics. Im with moe the station wagon pic is hilarious. I have a pic of my chopper in the back of my suv but quite as funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Awesome and awesome pics. Im with moe the station wagon pic is hilarious. I have a pic of my chopper in the back of my suv but quite as funny.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Spent some time cleaning up the garage and sorting everyting out. Not much to report on, spent a lot of time taking measurements and notes (I'm like that).
    Need to start sourcing parts to get it functional, then worry about the cosmetics. In due course I spent more time thinking about paint color, Bates re-pop seats and Borrani rims. Chains and coils aren't as sexy.
    Pulled the crap trap and the motor's made metal at some point. It's aluminun so it may have been a loose cam chain tensioner. I'll drain the oil and have a look around to make sure that's all.

Dad's been busy on his XS project too. He's going big-buck building a street tracker with an 850 big-bore kit and 277 deg. rephasing. Lucky fucker's put his Softail back together, tuned and polished it after the cross country trip! Mine's still sitting under the cover, just as I left it September 22nd.
    I think they dropped the cam chain into the bottom end.

Classic!

Chris: Good to hear from you, are we going to get a chance for a Mt. Clemens ride? How's your brother been doing on his?
    Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! Growing old is mandatory- growing up is OPTIONAL! I.B.A. #26543.

Default Got the fugger running

Got it running.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10289...LyMo8ipyv258wE

Cut out some offending bits.

Ebay came through with some cool stuff. Stickers are my own....

Learning to stick weld (by blowing holes in sacrificial tubing).

Starting to come together (at least enough to get the idea).

Need to spend a bunch of time this weekend using up electrodes on metal scrap before I touch the Hurricane (that's what I'm calling it right now).

Paul - I'll be back in July, ready to do some riding! Greg got a bike cover for Christmas and it's sat next to his bike in the garage for 3 months, that boy won't learn! I'd guess that it'll get charged up and he'll got out on it if the weather stays nice. How's the hot-rod?

Enjoy the 80 degree weather fuckers!
    Last edited by Chris300s; 03-23-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Video link doesn't work...

Looks great man. Can't wait to see it done.

You plan on being over there all the time? This a permanant thing?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

July could be great, don't be a stranger. Keep us posted, okay? Also, do you not check for messages on the "other" forum?
    Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! Growing old is mandatory- growing up is OPTIONAL! I.B.A. #26543.