View Poll Results: If you bought a new bike now, which way would you buy?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • New

4 33.33%
  • Used

8 66.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your next bike... NEW or USED

Quote Originally Posted by Thruxtonbill View Post
    It would really depend on what bike I was getting, If I ever pulled the trigger on a Duc it would be new, would not think twice about a used Jap bike. I can spend 5 mins with the bike and owner to figure out if he thrashed, babied it, whatever. Some bikes are cared for like they've been in a museum.
    So true man. Allot can be said by just judging the owner. Or hell the owners garage.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I am completely unimpressed with the new Twin Cams coming out of the factory. The list is too long to get into, but the latest is that you can no longer replace the valve guides. I would rather have an older TC or even better an S&S. After my current TC 103 is out of warranty and needs rebuilding, I will replace it with an S&S.

On the sporty side of things, I would buy a new one before a used.

I prefer my bikes used. Cheaper, more character, and I just don't feel right if I don't have something in the living room being worked on but to each their own.
    "Too smart for the low brows, too crude for the highbrows."
    "Malo periculosum libertatem quam quietum servitium."
    "I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery."

not sure yet used most likey old shovel head
    toby

Quote Originally Posted by Remo View Post
    I don't know how some of these people my age are able to afford a new bike, especially with colorful driving records. The payments are favorable but the insurance is
    The cost of your insurance is dependant on:
    Value of bike
    If it's a popular theft target
    Engine size
    Area you live

A guy that lives in Monroe County will pay about 10-15% less than you on the same bike. The difference between 1000c and 600cc is substantial, and so on. You can save some money with an anti theft device.

The other thing is you really have no idea who is properly insured. Some will get the cheapest they can. Some get insurance to plate the bike and never make another insurance payment. If it's financed, you MUST carry full coverage. Most lenders monitor it and if they find out you let it lapse, they'll add their own insurance to your payment, and it ain't cheap.

And of course some people get their bike, insurance, and gas money from mommy and daddy.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Depends what's available at the time. Sometimes the used bikes aren't that much cheaper than the new ones. If I can buy a new bike for maybe 2 grand more, I'm buying the new one.

The only way I'd buy a new bike is if it was a 1 or 2 year old model that had been sitting unsold and I could save a few grand versus new. My last 4 bikes were used and each was in excellent condiion. The worst problem I encountered, mechanical condition-wise, was a leaking fork seal. I did have to walk away from some I was tempted to buy, reminding myself that there are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS more bikes out there.

After riding each for at least two years, I sold all but one for more than I paid for it. With the other one, I sold it for $300 less than what I paid. Riding for a couple 2-3 years, and selling for a 'profit' also silenced any objections from management about my hobby/habit. It's been my experience that if you are patient and spend time scouring the various ads, you can find great deals on clean, low-mileage bikes. You also have to know what you will spend and be ready to walk if you can't agree on a price.

When I bought my current ride, it was 1 year old with 2,200 miles, pristine, still under warranty. I got it for $1400 LESS than what the owner initially said was his rock-bottom price (and about HALF the price of a new one). When I went to pick up the bike, his wife was at church. After counting out a stack of crisp Benjamins for him, he asked me NOT to tell his wife what I paid. Who am I to sabotage a brother rider?????

Quote Originally Posted by meinschaft View Post
    The only way I'd buy a new bike is if it was a 1 or 2 year old model that had been sitting unsold and I could save a few grand versus new. My last 4 bikes were used and each was in excellent condiion. The worst problem I encountered, mechanical condition-wise, was a leaking fork seal. I did have to walk away from some I was tempted to buy, reminding myself that there are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS more bikes out there.

After riding each for at least two years, I sold all but one for more than I paid for it. With the other one, I sold it for $300 less than what I paid. Riding for a couple 2-3 years, and selling for a 'profit' also silenced any objections from management about my hobby/habit. It's been my experience that if you are patient and spend time scouring the various ads, you can find great deals on clean, low-mileage bikes. You also have to know what you will spend and be ready to walk if you can't agree on a price.

When I bought my current ride, it was 1 year old with 2,200 miles, pristine, still under warranty. I got it for $1400 LESS than what the owner initially said was his rock-bottom price (and about HALF the price of a new one). When I went to pick up the bike, his wife was at church. After counting out a stack of crisp Benjamins for him, he asked me NOT to tell his wife what I paid. Who am I to sabotage a brother rider?????
    Pure evil.

I'm with ya Chris on buying new. Full warranty. Overkill on maintenance and yer good to go.
    Just bought a new Lund Fishing Boat. Can't take it with you. Besides I have seen too many save it till they were too old to enjoy it.
    My dad was a good teacher. When he was 80 years old we were blasting across 4th lake in the Adirondaks at 100mph on snowmobiles.
    That was his last trip. He's now 83 but slowing down. The years catch us all too soon. Have fun and enjoy life now.........
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne