Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh yeah, forgot to tell you

Yeah, I've seen that target a hundred times. Used one to teach my kids to shoot. The thing is I'm not grouping in a particular spot, I'm all over. When I do send one that's way off, I feel it and know it before it hits. Not doing anything consistently wrong in the process, I just can't seem to hold the gun still. It's like the shakiest gun in the west.

I've been holding down on coffee and anything sugary before I go. I shoot after work but before dinner, so I try to put something in my stomach before I go.

No one holds a gun dead still, but this is kind of an inordinate amount of movement. Prettty sure my problem is I just haven't been shooting enough bullseye lately. I've done some 'center mass' shooting and plate shoots. That's fine for self defense, but a 6" plate @ 50' is a lot different than a 7/8" 10 ring @ 50'. Even the 7 ring is only half the size of the plate. So, I think I have a combination of sloppy from the plates and just not enough shooting. Hopefully I'll get it back by the time this league is over and the spring league starts.

The good news in all of this is even though I'm not shooting as well as I was when the last leagues were over, I'm still shooting better than when I started the leagues last year.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Are you using a red dot scope?
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Yeah. With my eyes like they are iron sights give me the fits on a pistol. Easy enough to focus on the front sight, not easy to see the target. Interestingly, I was practicing technique at home. I can get about a 35' sight distance clear in my house. I put up a 1/2" stick-on spot and did some dry firing. With the red dot and no recoil it's really easy to see what you're doing when you pull the trigger. I caught myself palming the gun a couple of times, other than that things were really smooth. I'm pretty sure I'm solid up to that point. I know my follow through is good, I force myself to wait until the noise stops before I release the trigger so I can hear the sear engage.

What kind of shooting were you involved in that allowed you to get a score of 260? Were you shooting 10 rds per target? NRA allows 5 or 10 on slow fire bullseye. We shoot 5 rounds X 5 targets, so perfect is 250. 260 is impossible. I'd like to see them go to 10 rounds per target once we get into the rimfire only league, 5 rounds goes by too fast. It takes me longer to drive there than it does to shoot.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

We shoot 3 targets, 10 rounds each for a possible total of 300. 1-Slow, 1-Timed and 1-Rapid fire.
    I shot a 278 once but that was when i was really into it and shooting 4-5 times a week.
    No time for that now.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

I spent several weeks hovering in the mid 190's last year, which is what got me 3rd place. I'm a bit dissapointed right now, but then again I can only blame myself for not keeping in shooting shape. The home dry-firing drills seem to be helping, I'm already getting a bit steadier than I was last week. Some of that could've been sugar or caffiene too.

An old timer at the range told me one day to show up at a shoot just as if you were going anyplace else.
    If dinner was normally a burrito and a cup of coffee do the same.
    Just keep the same routine/diet/activities and come shoot.
    Thomas Payne

Can't. I'm usually eating dinner when it's time to go shoot. That's why I grab something before I go.