Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: purchase from private owner

Default purchase from private owner

what would one need in order to purchase a pistol for a private seller? as in paper work and such?

Here's some info I found: http://www.detroitccw.com/how_to_buy..._michigan.html, does this help?
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

i like this part LOL. yeah i'll have someone with me just for this reason.

"This section would not be complete without at least mentioning that there may be some element of risk for the buyer when buying a gun from private seller. Just keep in mind that the buyer may be doing business with a complete stranger who the buyer already knows will be in his presence with at least one gun - presumably the one he's selling - and the seller knows that the buyer will have a lot of cash. Thus, common sense should be the order of the day. The buyer should meet the seller in a public and well populated locale like a firing range."

Quote Originally Posted by junkyardjon View Post
    i like this part LOL. yeah i'll have someone with me just for this reason.

"This section would not be complete without at least mentioning that there may be some element of risk for the buyer when buying a gun from private seller. Just keep in mind that the buyer may be doing business with a complete stranger who the buyer already knows will be in his presence with at least one gun - presumably the one he's selling - and the seller knows that the buyer will have a lot of cash. Thus, common sense should be the order of the day. The buyer should meet the seller in a public and well populated locale like a firing range."
    Wonder why craigslist doesn't allow firearms sales. Not like anyone ever got robbed over sunglasses...oh wait....lol

In michigan its a little expensive if you want to be clear.Usually if you are local both of you go to a gunshop or to someone that has a FFL, then the seller transfers the gun to the gunshop or person with FFL, ($25 fee in my neighborhood) then he or the shop transfers it to you for another fee. I trade and buy online all the time and have them shipped to my local guy and I pick them up for a $25 transfer fee if I'm just buying. Forgot to mention unless you have a CPL you must obtain a purchase permit that some gun shops can get you but its much faster to get them from your sheriff county office for $5 and they are good for 10 days.
    Last edited by alhall88; 12-28-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alhall88 View Post
    In michigan its a little expensive if you want to be clear.Usually if you are local both of you go to a gunshop or to someone that has a FFL, then the seller transfers the gun to the gunshop or person with FFL, ($25 fee in my neighborhood) then he or the shop transfers it to you for another fee.
    Negative ghostrider. The only time you need to transfer it to another dealer is if it's coming from out of state. Purchasing a gun from a private individual when both are michigan residents is no different than purchasing from a dealer.

1. Go to your local PD or Sheriff, depending on where you live. Get a purchase permit. You will need a valid driver's license or State ID. (Note: There's a test, and you need to get 70% correct. You can probably find a copy of it online to study)
    2. Within 10 days, meet the buyer. Fill out and sign all 4 copies of the permit. (Note: Your signature needs to be notarized. Most PD's will do it, just sign in front of them when you get the permit.)
    3. Pay him, get the gun.
    4. He keeps one copy of the permit, you keep one copy, and the remaining two copies go back to the PD, again, within 10 days. They keep one, and send one to the State Police.
    5. Keep your copy of the permit on you whenever the gun is out of the house for the first 30 days. After that it will be in the system and you don't have to carry it.

That's it.
    Last edited by telecast; 12-29-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Here's the test, easy enough to find. Most of the questions are stupid simple, but there are a couple of trick questions. All are True or False. I've highlighted the tricky ones in red and provided the answer.
    1. You should treat every pistol as if it were loaded. (True or False)
    2. You should always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction. (True or False)
    3. You should never put your finger on the trigger until ready to fire at a proper target. (True or False)
    4. When passing or receiving a pistol to or from another person, the action should be open and the pistol visually checked to make sure it is not loaded. (True or False)
    5. It is illegal to sell a pistol to a person under 18 years of age. (True or False)
    6. The law requires a person to report the theft of his or her pistol to police within one year. (True or False) FALSE! You must report it immediately. Most people get this wrong because 'immediately' falls within a year
    7. A person is permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. (True or False)
    8. When storing a pistol, for safety reasons the ammunition should never be stored separately from the pistol. (True or False)
    9. The law requires that when presenting a pistol to police for a safety inspection, the pistol is unloaded and encased or equipped with a trigger locking mechanism. (True or False)
    10. When storing a pistol it should be unloaded and placed in a safe place out of the reach of children. (True or False)
    11. Possession of a pistol while under the influence of alcohol is unlawful. (True or False)
    12. A person can be held criminally and civilly liable for wrongfully pointing or discharging a pistol at another person. (True or False)
    13. The first step to cleaning a pistol is to make sure it is unloaded. (True or False)
    14. Dropping a loaded pistol will never cause an accidental discharge if the safety is on. (True or False) FALSE! Guns are mechanical, mechanics can fail. A lot of people think the safety is the do all-end all and completely disarms the gun.

15. Bullets fired at flat surfaces will never glance off in an unpredictable direction. (True or False)

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast View Post
    Negative ghostrider. The only time you need to transfer it to another dealer is if it's coming from out of state. Purchasing a gun from a private individual when both are michigan residents is no different than purchasing from a dealer.

1. Go to your local PD or Sheriff, depending on where you live. Get a purchase permit. You will need a valid driver's license or State ID. (Note: There's a 10 question test, and you need to get 7 correct. You can probably find a copy of it online to study)
    2. Within 10 days, meet the buyer. Fill out and sign all 4 copies of the permit. (Note: Your signature needs to be notarized. Most PD's will do it, just sign in front of them when you get the permit.)
    3. Pay him, get the gun.
    4. He keeps one copy of the permit, you keep one copy, and the remaining two copies go back to the PD, again, within 10 days. They keep one, and send one to the State Police.
    5. Keep your copy of the permit on you whenever the gun is out of the house for the first 30 days. After that it will be in the system and you don't have to carry it.

That's it.
    Yup, your right on. I did meet someone off craigslist in a public place to do a trade, my 357 for his Trailer. Paperwork went just as Telecast said.

One thing I believe Tele left out. I don't believe I need a purchase permit if I have a CWP, even for private sale.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Correct, but we're assuming that if John had a CPL he wouldn't be asking.

A couple of other things. You will have NO WAY to know if the gun was stolen until you take the permit back to the PD and they run it. Get the seller's name, address, phone, etc. Try to meet him at the PD if you can. If it doesn't feel right, pass.