Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Mod Season 2011/2012

I expect it to last long enough. Remember, I'm putting my heat shields back over the pipes.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Finally, after weeks and weeks of no days off, I got out in the garage today.

Got the garage, the shed, the yard all set up for summer. Can't believe we are talking like this in mid march.

Went to change the tourpack latch catch...

This pin comes down (left is pin, right is the lock)

and they made a new plastic piece to replace this one, that is grooved for the pin.

When I went to remove the small screws, this happened. The bolt snapped (right side)

Guess the excuse to get the heavy duty latches..

Onward to the exhaust cross over mount. Old one that doesn't fit the wrapped pipes on the left. The new one on the right. I didn't use the hinge design, I went with a bolt together style.

Installed and yes it's that tight of a fit. Made hammering it into form very difficult.

After that I hung the mufflers and got everything put back together. Going to start it up and record the smoking from the wrap.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Yeah, we like smoke!
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

cool shit!

I got a video of the pipes smoking in. I need to upload it off my phone. Will do that in the morning.

Here's the video of them smoking in..

Here's the stock latch setup.

So I went up to Biker Bob's yesterday, they had 17% off on March 17th... get it...

bought the HD Prem Latches and Hinges in black.

I also bought the heated vest & battery I've been eye balling since last year.

The latches didn't seem that much different... BUT the hinges were OH MY better. But MAN were they a pain to install.

I wrapped my stock exhaust pipes with DEI pipe wrap. This is the first start up. The video is 3.5 mins long and the pipes smoked for another 7 mins then I shut the bike down. They were still smoking but had slowed down a bunch. It's not the most exciting video but it goes to show you what happens and why you need to do it outside, not in the garage.

^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

yep and for some reason I like that smell too. The smell sticks around for a while after words too.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

Yeah it still smelled today. It actually smells similar to the ceramic.

Got the exhaust all buttoned up, got the heat shields all on and double checked the flanges...

Here's a pic of what you can see behind the heat shields.

Got the headlight wire hack installed. They said it was in the fairing... which it wasn't. I'd be pissed if I had removed it just for this but I had to get it off for the heated grips. LOL This has been a long time internet wiring hack, but due to a change in the DOT laws, HD now makes a SOLID plug & play. It allows the aux/spot lights to be on with the high beam and not just the low beam headlight.

So I got started on the heated grips. Got both grips off (left side was a BITCH due to the glue). Then removed the electric twist grip dilly

A neat little thing... there is a matching gear on the inside of the right side grip.

Did I ever mention I hate fishing wires...

They have you hook a "fish" wire to the old throttle wire jumper, so that when you pull the old wire through you have a fish wire to pull the new wiring through. The new wiring has the same throttle wire but also the wire for the heated grip. I fished that through...

I then fished the left side, which had no wire to piggy back with. So I had to cram a coat hanger through it, then hook a wire to that, to fish the left grip wires through. I was so irritated going through this I failed to take any pics... sorry.

Don't have much left to finish it, will do the rest tomry.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Well last night we got it all back together... but I got a check engine light due to 2 codes that put it into limited performance mode (limp mode & it's own code). I checked the end and it looks all normal...

Today I spoke to a HD mechanic buddy of mine that said the code which said hi/low open or open circuit. He suggested checking the jumper wire connections. I did and found this in the fairing connection. Shitty...

Straightened the pin, plugged it all back, cleared the code and bam... working fully!!!

I got my new National Cycle V-Stream ultra low windshield installed. I hope this will be my around town and road trip windshield, instead of swapping.

The advantage to this one over the HD or Klockwerks is I can use it with my windshield bags. The idea on these is that with their aerodynamics the wind will go over my head, however, there won't be windshield in front of my face. The problem with the stock is in rain or if it's dirty with the sun behind it, it's really hard to see past it. So this way I won't have any windshield in front of my face.

Then from Trip at www.twowheelvinyl.com got my a new color combo state sticker

Reflective black border so it's visible on the black windshield, with state colors of: chrome silver, HD orange, then R/W/B

^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

I'm really happy with the new diggs!!!

I'm also ready for the cold riding... LOL
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"