Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to dirt, what should i get?

Default New to dirt, what should i get?

I have riden my friends dirt bike (unknown size but i think it was a yamaha)* but that was long ago.* Now that i have my truck, and my street bike.* I want to give dirt a try.* Lots of my friends ride, and i figure it would be fun to go up north camping this summer and dirt biking and stuff.* * I dont have a lot to spend, so it will definatly be used, but is there anything i should know different from street bikes that is special to dirtbikes when considering buying one.* * A lot of used ones say x amout of hours.* What is "old" or well used in hours?

Brand Prefrance?
    Size?
    How old is to old?
    bike Vs Quad?

Im a big guy (250lbs) so i was thinking of getting a bigger bike (250 or up)* any ideas on if this is the right thing to do?

Know any one that are forsale that you could show me.* I have been looking on C-list and other sites for deals.* I might be getting one this spring so ill be shopping for a while.

Thanks guys/gals!
    ~Boomer, 2001 SV650s.

Default Re: New to dirt, what should i get?

I had a CRF250R... I think it was an 05... that thing ripped!!!! it's a pretty fast bike while being very light.

Everyone says get a 450 if you want power, but if you have never ridden dirt, hopping on a 450 is like hopping on a litre bike as a noob.

My only issue with dirt was the trip... I spent just as long traveling to ride as I did riding.* If you have buddies that like to ride, then it may be easier, but for me that part sucked.* It was fun while riding, so enjoy it.

I'd go with one of the big 4.* They are all pretty close.* Honda's have great history and tend to hold their value.* Do your homework and when buying used, look at the bike and see how abused it was.* If it takes more than two kicks to start, it could be the start of problems.* Those engines don't last as long as a street engine and need more maintenance.* LOTS more.* Most people do oil every ride or 5 hours and check valves every 15-20 hours.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Sh*t... WHAT A RIDE!"

KTM's are wonderful bikes.. I've had a bunch of them.. but they are maintenance intensive and the seats are scrap from the factory. Not for beginners, not for old guys.. they are for studs.. or guys who "need to have the coolest stuff even if they can't ride it real well)(me?)

stick with the big four... get a 4 stroke.. though 2 strokes are a real rush once you're used to it.

Big four 4 strokes will get you over your head in a heartbeat.. but you'll never outgrow the power if you live through the learning curve

dirt riding is a blast... wear great gear.. not your road riding gear.

it's also a hassle to trailer up north to ride unless you have a place up there

the trails are MUCH< MUCH rougher than you'd like.. and most are much too tight.. laid out by peole who like that sort of thing.. guy with LOTS of experiance and 200cc 2 stroke KTM's

JOIN the CCC (cycle conservation club of Michingan).. they know, maintain all the great trails
    gthong

current fleet.. subject to change at any second depending on whim

2008 Kaw C14 Concours
    2003 Harley V Rod.. chrome beyond reason
    1994 Ducati E900 Elefant.. you won't see another
    1982 Honda CBX 3900 miles
    1986 Honda Reflex trials.. cause I could'nt resist
    1976 Honda CB550/4 8000 miles near mint
    1975 Suzuki 185 enduro.. very, oriignal
    1974 Penton 250 enduro.. only ridden 1 year
    1973 Suzuki GT750 liquid nice
    1973 Honda CB750 near mint
    1972 Yamaha R5 350 2 stroke
    1970 Honda CT90

spend a few extra bucks on a nice bike.. not a ragged out one.. they are easier to resell.. and are more reliable

there are lots of bikes around that have litterally never been ridden.

don't be afraid to buy one a few years old if it's nice... they're all better bikes than we are riders
    gthong

current fleet.. subject to change at any second depending on whim

2008 Kaw C14 Concours
    2003 Harley V Rod.. chrome beyond reason
    1994 Ducati E900 Elefant.. you won't see another
    1982 Honda CBX 3900 miles
    1986 Honda Reflex trials.. cause I could'nt resist
    1976 Honda CB550/4 8000 miles near mint
    1975 Suzuki 185 enduro.. very, oriignal
    1974 Penton 250 enduro.. only ridden 1 year
    1973 Suzuki GT750 liquid nice
    1973 Honda CB750 near mint
    1972 Yamaha R5 350 2 stroke
    1970 Honda CT90

+1 on joining the CCC, they maintain a fantastic trail network and sponsor some fun rides.

Personally I think it's hard to beat a Honda 4-stroke. One of the newer CRF-X's if you need power or an XR250/400 if you're looking for reliability. The XR's are practically maintenance free. Gas up and ride!

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by gthong View Post
    KTM's are wonderful bikes.. I've had a bunch of them.. but they are maintenance intensive and the seats are scrap from the factory.
    Send me that seat. I'll soften her up at a fair price. My buddies ride KTM's and them seats are hard as hell. I ride an old RMX 250, it's bullet proof
    Last edited by seatmaker; 01-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.

I've been riding for about 20 years or so and have worked my way up through street, and dirt bikes. I think there are alot of different bikes that may fit your needs depending on what you want to ride. Trails? MX? Adventure? Dunes?

I purchased a 2003 Suzuki DRZ400S, S meaning street model. This really only means its legal for the road, with a quick change of the stock DOT tires to some Dunlop D606's which are aggressive knobbie street tires, its the best bike I think i've been on. It comes in a little heavy, but hey so do I. 6'1" and 330, the bike will handle everything I can throw at it, weather it be a slow 2 track ride, sand, 60mph on a 2 lane highway or loaded up for a 2 day trip on the Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail. Outfitted with some Army bags for gear, some case savers, aftermarket skidplate and handguards it's almost a tank.

With plenty of power, speed and grunt I think the DRZ400 is a great base to start with.

Any questions I can be of help with I would be glad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome.

The DRZ is very capable. My bud has the same bike, and has rode it cross country. Last summer he rode it from air force base in Mississippi to North Dokota, over the U.P. and then down with me to Georga, simply crazy on that bike.

^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

i had the yammy xt600 and loved that bike..
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Agree with the DualSport suggestions.

Used to have dirtbikes and HATED hauling em to ride em.

Have been considering a DualSporter myself, figure it could be fun for me and a learner bike for my daughter.

Plus they hold value way better than straight dirtbikes.

Yeah, there are some compromises, but are you going to racing and jumping or mostly just trail riding.

Nice to run dirt roads too.