• Ride there

8 88.89%
  • Trailer there

1 11.11%
  • Trailer half way to avoid the dull parts

0 0%

Thread: Ride to or Trailer there??

Question Ride to or Trailer there??

Motorcycle Trailers Enhancing The Riding Experience?

Published by Cyril Huze

Frank Esposito is President Of Kendon Trailers And Lifts. He just wrote an interesting piece about trailering your bike(s) to your destination. Of course, his writing has for objectives to promote his company and products. But he makes some valid arguments about the advantages of trailering.

Since hauling or not is an age-old passionate debate dividing bikers with on one side the hardcore motorcyclist who does not want to hear the word “trailer” and who is willing to ride anywhere and everywhere, no matter what the distance may be, and on the other the avid rider looking only for the best riding available., I think that this Esposito’s piece is an interesting support to let you debate again on this hot topic…

“Both types of riders end up at the same places whether they use motorcycle trailers or not. So what really is the difference between riding and hauling bikes to a destination? Can motorcycle trailers truly enhance the rider’s experience? It used to be that most people only bought a trailer to take their bike in for repairs. Now the perception is growing that a trailer can add a new dimension to their motorcycling experience as it increases the opportunity for adventure.

Consider the fact that the average rider rarely gets beyond a 150-200 mile radius of his home. In addition, physical limitations can play a big role in a motorcyclist’s ability to travel longer distances. It comes down to a simple matter of quality vs. quantity. Using a trailer for motorcycles is a sensible way to get out of the comfort circle and change riding habits from a typical ride to a weekend adventure while opening up new riding opportunities. Changing a biker’s habits is not easy. However, when thinking in terms of multi-day weekend adventures instead of routine rides to and from the garage, it becomes much easier and practical to adjust these habits. Planned weekend getaways with family and friends can become more frequent, easier and enjoyable for everyone.

Why wear out the body and the bike riding the freeways to get to the destination to get to the good riding. Using a car and trailer to get there fresh, relaxed and ready to jump on the bike enhances the motorcycling experience. In addition to the increased comfort level of towing motorcycles, the economy factor plays a huge role with wear and tear on motorcycles. Tires, engine components and fluids all get worn out on the super-slab highways. With a motorcycle trailer, that worry is practically eliminated as the bike gets to the destination prepped and ready to ride. Having a freshly prepped bike and a rested body adds to the overall enjoyment of motorcycle riding. “aving rested and happy companions does not hurt either. Motorcycle trailers definitely help enthusiasts enjoy more of their passion by allowing for comfortable, convenient and fun times in distant riding destinations. A trailer really allows you to look at what is beyond that 150-200 mile comfort circle.

So is this change to acceptance of trailering real or just hypothetical? Check out the growing numbers of trailers at events such as Bike Week in Daytona or the Sturgis Rally. Motorcycling has always been about independence, freedom and individual choice… “ Frank Esposito, President Of Kendon Trailers And Lifts.

I have always felt that the super slab miles are like putting in your dues. Plus there are always places to see in between. I can identify it would be nice to have that trailer nearby as a "back up plan".

I also find it laughable about the 150-200 mile radius. Say that to my 1750 mile long weekends. Granted I have the touring bike for the job, and that makes a big part of the deal.

What do you think?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I think that riding has never been about the destination for me but more about what I can see and do on the way. I like to stop at scenic over looks and pull off the highway for road side attractions and that ads to the "adventure" of the ride.

However, I can see trailering the bike if you are going to a destination just to ride that certain road, For instance I've thought about trailering the shadow down to the dragon because I know after about 400 miles on my bike I would be miserable so if I trailer it I would enjoy riding the area more. Also if going on a vacation with non riders then you can drive the car and pull the bike and have it with you when you get there. I hate the feeling of going on a road trip and being on some roads where I say man I wish I has my bike right now.

On the opposite side a bike trip with a group of friends would be a lot of fun and I think you would get odd looks following a pack of bikes around with yours on the trailer.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

Rugby, I think you and I are on the same page.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Hmmmm a full day on a cafe bike to a riding destination...........I'm old and whipped. On the other hand, my truck the trailer all my gear plus tools yeah that's the ticket.

seeing i use my bike as transportion, a trailer is not an option unless i'm pulling it behind the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruxtonbill View Post
    Hmmmm a full day on a cafe bike to a riding destination...........I'm old and whipped. On the other hand, my truck the trailer all my gear plus tools yeah that's the ticket.
    Point very well taken there. Not all of us have touring couches like me.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyardjon View Post
    seeing i use my bike as transportion, a trailer is not an option unless i'm pulling it behind the bike.
    I hear that. My buddy caveman has a really nice trailer for behind his hog... but we have yet to use it.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

For myself half the fun of a trip is the ride itself. Especially if you're not in a hurry and are able to cruise the 2 laners.
    But if you have health issue's or time restraints I can see how a trailer would come in real handy!

You're right lrider. For me it's usually time constraints but I still ride there. It's just usually blastin down the highway. But that is fine, I'd rather be doing that than sitting in a truck. Plus it's like "putting in your dues" for the upcoming awesome you will have once you get there.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Rolling is my world, the end belongs to someone else. Such is my poetic opinion. mileage you get may vary
    "Too smart for the low brows, too crude for the highbrows."
    "Malo periculosum libertatem quam quietum servitium."
    "I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery."