Thread: Need some suggestions on makes & models

Default Need some suggestions on makes & models

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a dirt bike or an enduro just for winter ridding.

What would be good for scootin' around, and is there any particular makes/models that should be avoided?
    "Too smart for the low brows, too crude for the highbrows."
    "Malo periculosum libertatem quam quietum servitium."
    "I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery."

I don't know... but interested in what others say.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I've had my eye on a KTM XC-W for awhile, but at 9k its not a priority

well i'm a 2 stroke lover ..... yeahs sounds bad LOL, but really any major brand is good really. what size you thinking about? whats the intended riding? putting around or tearing it up? either way KTM's are hard to beat. mostly just watch out for owners that didn't maintain the bike. look at the grease fittings to see if they even grease'em once in awhile

if it was me, i'd get a yamaha WR250 and put a big bore kit on it and still spend less than most newer used bikes or a suzuki RMX 250, but i like two strokes LOL

I agree with Jon about the 2 strokes. I like the older stuff; mainly Yamahas but that's a personal preference. For winter riding I found a 2 stroke is usually easier to start and one with too much power will put you on your ass pretty quickly. Everything depends on your level of experience and riding habits.

But, I'm a firm believer in having at least 3 bikes: a road bike, an around town bike, and a dirt bike.

that sounds like a good belief kwats
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by kwats View Post
    I agree with Jon about the 2 strokes. I like the older stuff; mainly Yamahas but that's a personal preference. For winter riding I found a 2 stroke is usually easier to start and one with too much power will put you on your ass pretty quickly. Everything depends on your level of experience and riding habits.

But, I'm a firm believer in having at least 3 bikes: a road bike, an around town bike, and a dirt bike.

I would look at the Kawasaki KDX 200. They are dirt bikes but many people have converted them into enduro's for some reason. It's a very lively 200cc 2-stroke and they sell for fairly cheap; you could get a nice, street legal KDX for under $2,000 . I had one that was street legal and I really regret selling mine. It was a great bike...
    Last edited by Remo; 11-01-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwats View Post

Pretty much just scooting around town, with just enough power to hang with traffic. If I had cash to burn I'd grab an IMZ Ural for puttin' in the snow since they tickle my love of vintage military style. ... I suppose if I grabbed something with a little more oomph than what I need I could build a new frame w/ side car and use it for grocery getting as well, instead of feeding the truck..

Yamaha WR250, Suzuki RMX250,

Would I have to mix the gas/oil like with my string trimmer, or an mixer w/ separate oil/gas?

Kawasaki KDX 200, sounds like a nice avenue to hunt first, double so if it comes ready to be toe tagged for street

pardon any ignorance on my part, most of my small engine experience comes from a '79 honda express I used to ride the piss out of and an old as hell string trimmer.
    Last edited by Nobody; 11-07-2011 at 12:01 AM.
    "Too smart for the low brows, too crude for the highbrows."
    "Malo periculosum libertatem quam quietum servitium."
    "I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery."

To answer your above question, you would need to pre-mix your fuel. Myself, I have never seen a 2-stroke dirtbike/enduro with oil injection.

Also, another bike you could look into is the Yamaha TW 200. It's a 200cc four stroke that comes street legal from the factory and offers amenities that some home made enduro's don't have such as; a Speedometer/Odometer, turn signals, keyed ignition, and electric start. You could probably pick up a pretty nice, low mileage, TW for around $2,500-$2,700 .