Thread: A days adventure playing in the U.P.

Default A days adventure playing in the U.P.

Well I got out and did a 455 mile day today. I wanted to go check out the newly paved H58. The road is growing in popularity. It's a 47 mile stretch from Grand Marais to Munising along the Lake Superior shoreline. I must say they did an awesome job with it. I started in Grand Marais and I must say the first 20 miles is GREAT. Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself.
    First I decided to leave at 7 a.m. because there is a group of around 2,000 Goldwings heading for the Mackinac Bridge and I didn't want to be behind them. This was the night of their annual Midnight Ride and they reach the bridge around 8 a.m. I did beat them across the bridge and I stopped to take a few pics of the spectators.

Not wanting top get trapped in the rest area I thought it was best I depart so I hit I-75 heading north.
    I rode on to Kinross and decided to hit some back road highways. I rode the back roads north to M28 then turned West. From there I was heading towards Raco and the abandoned airfield. I was hoping to get a top speed run in. When I arrived at the airfield there was 2 big pole barns with people working there. The runway had a lot of grass growing on it and parts were busted up. I did do a few runs but when I reached 110 mph it got a little too rough. I abandoned my aspirations for reaching 160 on this runway and the guys at the pole barns were watching me. I got a little nervous that they might call the popo so I departed. Here is the only pic I took while I was there.

After leaving Raco I headed for Grand Marais so I could start my H58 adventure. I stopped in Grand Marais to grab a drink and some chips for my lunch along side of the road whenever I felt like pulling over again.

Now as far as H58 is concerned I pretty much told you about that in the forst paragraph so I'll just go ahead and post the vids. No vids, it didn't happen right? At this point these are unedited but I'll get to that later.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJHajaVD9LM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTyPwUS5NEQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnZPBNHR_GU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNXeACQrCpI
    After riding the entire route I stopped for lunch in Munising by the Veterans Park, I love those Buffalo Chicken Ruffles.

I was pondering which route to take back but then I decided I enjoyed H58 so much I turned right around and rode it again. After all I've seen all of the other roads up here. I know Highway 2 and 28 are highly covered with revenue generating officers so I was on my way.
    After arriving back at Grand Marais I headed south on 77 and rode on through Newberry, Trout Lake and St Igace to arrive at the Mackinac Bridge waiting there for me. I paid my $3.50 and decided to take 75 south to Indian River. After being so restricted on the way back I just felt like I needed some speed. Sometimes I just like getting on I-75 and rolling along at 80ish mph. I stopped in Indian River to think about my days ride before riding the last 8 miles home to hear about my families day full of events.
    Good day, good ride. Oh yeah, 1 more pic. I love this one, the sky was gorgeous.
    My current and previous rides.
    1984 Honda Ascot 500 rode for 3 months
    2001 Honda Shadow 750 7 years and 60,000 miles
    2007 Suzuki M109R 18 months and 17,000 miles
    2008 Kawasaki Concours 6 years and 70,000 miles
    2008 Yamaha Raider purchased March 10,2015

Will have to check it out. last time I was on that road it was still sand, gravel, and mud.

People in cars going the opposite way looked at us like were insane for riding it on Electraglides.

you won't be disappointed. I didn't do any of the scenic pull offs. I'll reserve that for when I'm with wifey.

great pics looks like an awesome day!
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

Thanks, I don't know if it could have been any better. I did get clocked on radar 3 different times but as anyone knows you have to behave on 2, 28 and 123 in the U.P.

Great trip report.
    Was hoping to make it up that way this summer but looks like next year at this point.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

thanks, sorry. It's going to be more gorgeous in the Fall.