Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for some new gear

Default looking for some new gear

Long story short, I need a new helmet. I'll post later on what happened.

I want something in high vis orange, but not a shit helmet. Anything I can do to help retards actually see me is a bonus. Thoughts?

I'm replacing an Arai Corsair =( I loved that helmet.
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King

shoei makes some of theirs in a bright yellow and orange. rf1100
    Last edited by sprink; 04-26-2011 at 12:58 PM.

I rock a bright yellow Shoei. I bought it because they're one of the lightest and toughest full face around. They run small (enough for my peanut sized head) and are pricey.

Chris

I recently got a Scorpion EXO 700 in hi visibility yellow (which is really more like a neon green). Along with a new Tourmaster hi visibility yellow jacket (also really more like neon green), I can now be seen from Space!! The helmet is reasonalbly priced (around 170) and not only DOT, but also Snell certified. You could always customize it to tone it down with some reflective black or other decals.Check out Motorcycle superstore or ebay.
    At 50 mpg, who says going green can't be fun!!

Thanks for the help guys... I'm just kinda frustrated, insurance only covers $500 for a helmet, and I spent more than that on my Corsair Arai...

2 weeks ago today, I was riding with Waly, we gassed up, and went to go north on van dyke at 26 mile speedway.
    A woman in a car directly across from us was turning left to go north as well. I waited, for a second, checking traffic, confirmed she was not moving and turned.
    At about the same time, she must have started out across. I noticed her coming, and I got my left hand up mid turn and waved to get her attention, which did get her attention apparently enough that she didnt hit me, but it may have been because I rolled on the throttle pretty quickly as well. She ended up getting between my bike and Waly's bike.

Anyhow, after I had both hands on the bars, and I rolled on the throttle, I got the bike straightened back up in my lane and went to look in my mirror to make sure everythign was ok behind me, that Waly didnt get hit by the car, and I let off the throttle, at this point all I remember is hitting the ground, hard... and sliding as my bike slid down the road away from me... speed was about 30-35mph.

After going over ti in my mind a million times since, all I can figure out is that when I turned, I went wide, into the center line area where there is alot of debris and sand, and I probably spun the tire enough that when I straightened the bike back up and let out of it, the bike stepped out to the right immediately and slammed me to the ground on my left side. I was wearing all my gear, gloves, helmet, leather jacket, and armored over pants. Suffered a concussion, and a seperated left shoulder which is slowly getting better.

Anyhow, I'll take that crash over getting hit by a car mid turn anyday...
    Thanks to Waly, my bike got picked up by the tow company, and he made sure everything was explained to the police, and he gave a good piece of his mind to that lady that was not paying attention.

I took a ride in the ambulance to the hospital to get some x-rays, not exactly a fun time, but I have a new found respect for my gear.
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King

Man Rich that sucks. And on the new bike? Bah! Bad way to start the season. Sorry to hear that. Hope the rest of the season treats you much better. Much damage to the bike? Are you going to fix it yourself?
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Yea... new bike... like 3rd time out on the bike...
    No, insurance is fixing it... by the time I buy a helmet, pay the tow bill, etc... cheaper to let them fix it.
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King

I was really hoping you damaged the arai without your head in it. Sorry to hear that story.

Guess that answers the question I posed in another thread. Well if there's a good side to it you got the fall out of the way and can now concentrate on riding the rest of the season. Does it still have to be 50 degrees?
    Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! Growing old is mandatory- growing up is OPTIONAL! I.B.A. #26543.

Everything got worked out yesterday finally to actually start working on the bike.
    Hopefully there will be a check in the mail for my gear when I get home too.
    Shoulder is doing a lot better, but still not where it needs to be to ride.
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King