Thread: My latest project

Default My latest project

I found a '79 Yamaha XS11 setting in a barn being used as a chew toy and litterbox for thousands of rodents for over 30 years. Paid $300 to take a chance and discovered the bike only had 5600 miles. Previous owner was afraid of the bike and parked it. Lotsa elbow grease, soda blaster, sawzall to cut the petrified tires off, and a major fuel system overhaul, I had a running bike. I found a factory touring package, bought an aftermarket trunk, and painted it a candy color. It's a good running, reliable, and decent looking bike that I still haven't spent $900 on.....

yamaha2.jpg

Nice find and nice work!

Gotta love barn finds. I'm trying to work up the courage to pick up a project, I've done cars but not bikes.
    ďA jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." -Robert Frost

Really nice, great bike with a very strong motor, nice job.

Nice job! I luv them $300 bikes, keeps U busy and out of trouble.
    My son found a 1982 honda cb450T for $300, we will probaly turn it in a cafe racer, I seen quite a few cb450's that turn out pretty slick as cafe racers.
    Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul !:chop:

Very nice ride!
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

Thanks guys, it was a lot of work. It runs very strong, but getting the carbs working right took a lot of effort; I had to junk the original carbs since to PO hired an idiot to try to get it running. I found a set of rebuilders on ebay and got everything tuned right. I had to blast and paint the front fender, cut off the rear fender and graft a harley rear fender due to rust. The wiring harness was a mess due to mice chewing so lotsa rewiring and cleanup of connecters. Aftermarket mufflers replaced the rusted stockers full of rodent nests.

Now the good part.....the internals of the engine were pristene, just like new. The bike should be good for a long time.