Thread: Sometimes my moronishness surprises even me....

Default Sometimes my moronishness surprises even me....

I finished up the league yesterday, shot pretty well. I had to shoot 3 weeks ahead due to upcoming work schedule, I wasn't sure I would be able to get out there.

Anyway, every since I've been out there I've wondered about the distance. I was told 30' at the beginning of the league, so there's where I zeroed my pistol. Every since then when I'd go out for practice I'd set up a target frame at 30', but always thought it looked too close. Or, when I'd go to the indoor range to shoot the league I'd think it looked farther.

I shot week 8 and scored my normal abysmal score. Shot week 9 and did a little better, about 20 points. All this time I'm seeing high hits, just outside the black by an inch or so. Since I still can't focus well on the target and sights at the same time (even with the new glasses), I figured it was me.

3 targets into week 10 and I finally decide to ask what the distance is.

Fifty feet.

Crap.

At that distance the bullet is still rising, it hasn't reached the top of the curve. I adjusted down on the last two targets and put 9 of 10 rounds in the black, ended up scoring my best round yet. It's too bad I didn't ask earlier, like, about 6 weeks ago.

I looked at the scores so far and I'm about in the middle of the field. They don't post actual standings so I'm not sure where I am exactly, but I'm doing about as well as I thought I would, not as well as I wanted to. What pisses me off is I'm a good judge of length and distance. I knew damned good and well it was different than what I'd been told, but I didn't move on my gut. A lemming!

Now that it's over though I can mount my red dot and get it sighted in. The nest league starts the second week of April, rimfire only.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

That's not moronishness (did I spell that right?), that's gullibility. You believed what you were told at the beginning. No fault on your part.
    By the way, good luck in the upcoming league!!

I'm not surprised at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychodad1961 View Post
    That's not moronishness (did I spell that right?),
    I think so, since I just made it up we can spell it however we want!

Quote Originally Posted by Thruxtonbill View Post
    I'm not surprised at all.
    Didn't figure you would be....

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Good for you Tim, kinda means you CAN hit the broadside of the barn now doesn't it!!!!
    Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! Growing old is mandatory- growing up is OPTIONAL! I.B.A. #26543.

Will you be shooting the outdoor league this summer. It's a real trip shooting that tiny hunk of lead at 25 & 50 yards.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

The only outdoor pistol league they do is 'What You Carry', 21' speed fire.