Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Helmet

For me riding with or without gear is the balance of protection vs comfort/desire.

But as I also said... I have 3 different types of helmets. I prefer the half over all else. I prefer the 3/4 for long road trips, as a buffer for the wind. The full face modular is real nice... I just don't use it much.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by fz1bill View Post
    I knew you would catch that contradiction. Ok, so you have never gone faster then the speed limit?
    No.

Sure I have. I just don't plan on doing 100+ MPH on a regular basis.

Would you ride on Mi roads with no helmet?
    Probably not. I used to ride in Texas with no helmet, but that was 30+ years ago and things seemed much different in 1978. Maybe I was just young and invincible at the time, but with the addition of cellphones, texting and just all around stupidity, I can't see myself doing it anymore. When I drive the highways and see some dickhead with a paperback book spread out on his steering wheel it scares me to death, and that's in my full sized pickup.

If Michigan had no helmet law I might ride around my small town without one, and I may be tempted if I was up north away from the traffic. Here in wunnerful SE MI though, I just can't see it anymore.

Back in the day I was a card carrying member of ABATE. I'm no longer interested in making that argument.

From our previous exchange, I'm not trying to convince anyone that a full face is not as safe as a half. My point is that none of them are perfect, and under the wrong circumstance none of them will save you.

From that same exchange, in a past job I was responsible for developing, writing, and maintaining safety programs, as well as training personnel to meet with MIOSHA standards. So if you want to play that card it isn't going to work. I don't always agree with what they say, but you have to admit workplace safety is far better now than it was 30 years ago.

meinschaft: No, we're not. Helmet choice isn't up to the officer, it's chosen by the department based on input from their insurance carrier and MIOSHA. It's based on balancing safety with their ability to see and hear what's going on around them.

I'd like to point out that my participation in this thread was non-existent until it was suggested that people wearing anything other than full face are doing so only to to look cool. I take exception to that.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast View Post

Sure I have. I just don't plan on doing 100+ MPH on a regular basis.

Meet ya there then. Cause I surely plan on doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast View Post
    Back in the day I was a card carrying member of ABATE. I'm no longer interested in making that argument.
    I could never stand behind ABATE and their BS they spew out as non-truth fact. You will ALWAYS be better to have a helmet on.

Non directed:

As far as skid lid vs dot big foam. I would not rely on the skid lid shell to absorb the energy of the impact. Further, I need the foam of a DOT to absorb the initeria of my head.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Did you see the smiley? It was a joke RZ.
    Yup...ya see the winking smiley? Caught the fact you were joking...was just playing along.
    My current rides:
    02 H-D FXSTDI Softail Deuce
    89 Kawasaki Ninja 750R

tele im with you not being able to here i hate when my buds wear a full helmet and at a stop light i ask something and he cant hear me and i cant hear him.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

l,ll stick to the old half skid lid
    toby

Gary Busey. Poster-boy for the no-helmet crowd. I prefer not to drool.........go figure.