Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmet

Default Helmet

I just found out im going to need a new helmet,* Mine isnt DOT approved * oh well, time to go shopping.* * Any ideas on whats good,* it has to be full face and has to be able to fit my head, most extra larges that i have tried on from all kinds of brands have fit.

So im open to opinions, tell me what you think is best and why.* I prefer something thats quite on the freeway but also decently breathable.* its got to be inexpensive so nothing over $250 ish.

Thanks guys/gals in advanced!
    ~Boomer, 2001 SV650s.

Default Re: Helmet

I wear....sorry...

I rock a Scorpion right now, EXO-1000 Full. Comfy, quality, alot of nice features, but loud wind noise. I was really disappointed by the wind howl, and the no-fog face shield fogs pretty easily.* All the shit I heard about Scorpions, I thought I was making a good choice, but I won't buy another one.

I replaced an Icon Full Face with it. The Icon was nice, comfy, quiet, quality, but the face opening seemed small in comparison to the HJC I had, meaning, when looking over your shoulder, you really need to turn your head as the small opening cuts into the peripheral vision. Other than that, I really liked the Icon, and maybe the head turning issue is just because as I age, I seem to be getting physically stiffer.

Before the Icon was an HJC CL-SP full face. Comfy, quality, roomy, good vision, shield was easy to change, lightweight, relatively quiet. You weren't so much aware you were wearing a full helmet as much as the other two.

I had a chance to do an impact test with the HJC, (hit by a car while riding, I hit the pavement head first at about 50mph) and the helmet saved my ass. Didn't break or crack, didn't allow any damage to my head.

Also, I've heard after about a year HJC's tend to become loose fitting on your head. Shouldn't be a big deal since they all have replaceable pads anymore, but to each his own. Mine was only a week old when I crashed it and replaced it, so I didn't wear it long enough to experience any loss of fit issues.

I did not experience a change of fit with the Icon and I rode that for a year.

That's what I've used and how I feel about them.

Helmet pricing is all over the map; they all have models in and around your price range, and there are tons of other manufacturers to choose from as well.

Alot of the helmet thing is personal preference, so after some online research, Id suggest going to a dealer and looking at, holding, and trying on several different models, especially for the fit. A medium HJC could fit different from a medium Icon and so on.

Then of course there's the color and graphics choices too.* *

I vote for Scorpion.* I have the EXO-400.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

got any pics
    ~Boomer, 2001 SV650s.

For the $250 range, you can get a KBC, HJC, Scorpian, or some Icons.* Regardless of what people say about the helmets being junk or not good or whatever... They are all Snell and DOT approved helmets.* They are perfectly reliable and safe helmets.

I am not arguing against the fact that they are on the same level as Suomy, Arai, Bell, Shoei or any of the more expensive helmets... These helmets provide protection well beyond the bare minimum standards to achieve Snell or DOT approval, and they are much nicer helmets, both fit/quality and Safety.* You get what you pay for.

I would recommend a good helmet over any other piece of safety gear, but I would still bet money that ANY of the helmets listed above, would help save your life in a head injury accident.

I myself wear only Shoei, Bell or Suomy.

I have a nolan modular that I can use for cold riding.* Its the nicest helmet I've ever touched.

An old school rider I know just got a seer... says its comfortable as all hell.* They have this nice strap at the bottom of your skull in the rear.* Keeps the helmet from rotating.* Guess these are what all your law enforcement wear.
    http://www.superseer.com/
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Look for a Shoei... they can be found on clearance for $250, I know as I have bought them.* If you go with a plain color, you most likely will find one.* I also have a KBC, which is good, but has a little too much ventilation for the Michigan colder weather.* My HJCs are nice and have never failed, but honestly the build quality is better on the Shoei.

It's 5 years old and still works great... has over 20,000 miles on my head and it still feels awesome.*

I recomend you try and see them before you buy them.* Try them on, open the visor and try to take the visor off and put it back on.* My KBC had a recall on the ratchet system... again, not as good build quality.

A good helmet can last you years.* The investment is worth it.

My two cents...
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Sh*t... WHAT A RIDE!"

hjc cs12 white , hjc cs2n silver, and hjc cl15 black. looking to get an hjc ac3 also
    william

I have the HJC CS and it is comfortable for me it is snell and dot approved.* Go to Jafrum website or ??? DB what is the other site we us.* They have some nice prices now.
    Bettyboop 79 gl1000

Scorpion for me as well.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.