Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open track days?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I built up a ton of confidence and experience on my very first track day it was really good. I went with Apex 2 Apex but I don't think they do any in Michigan any more. They are fun for sure but can get expensive. At least for me they where. I'd leave on a Friday evening for the 3 hour drive and have a hotel stay so I could be at the track at 7 Saturday morning. So on top of the track time there was a hotel night and dinner and such. I think some tracks have camp grounds you can stay at for cheap though. However if you do this I'd have a camper with a bullet proof lock or find a way to lock your tent because you'll have guys like Mud already all excited about spending a weekend with dudes in leather that he might try and get to you while you're sleeping. Just be warned.

I think if I was to ever own a race bike again it'd be a drag bike. But the road tracks are really fun and you learn a ton.
    That's what I'm talking about.

If you share lodging stuff like this gets cheaper. Also more fun telling lies about the days events.

Quote Originally Posted by sprink View Post
    I am never gonna really race, but I love twisty roads. We don't really have any in MI, but I have been down to the Dragon and loved the roads in that area. SE Ohio is really nice too and a lot closer. I think a little professional instruction would help a lot.

Of course I would like to get together with the group sometime!
    Greg: Been itching to do this as well, something about teaching an old dog new tricks? Let's keep our ears open and I think early April may be a good thing. Gotta watch out for them boys down south of us- that Tim always wants to stop at those "cowboy bars"!
    Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! Growing old is mandatory- growing up is OPTIONAL! I.B.A. #26543.

Anyone want to schedule a meeting to discuss the April track day, and future events?
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King

Yes for sure. We can schedule something. Maybe I can get some other track a holics to come and share their wisdom as well. I am traveling this week, next week and for the next 2 weeks after that. So it would have to be like mid March - like March 15 or later. By then I should have info on the Team Chicago day at Grattan as well. Just let me know when and where.

As far as sharing lodging I know Bob and Gasman like nut to butt type of shit but I am more of a my own room or in worst case butt to butt type of guy. They try to project their gay fantasies onto me for some reason.

I never plan to race either. Trackdays are way more than just racing. It is a chance to let your bike do what it does best all in one direction with bikers having the same thing in mind, run off in case you go wide or get sketchy, no cops, no potholes or gravel and an ambulance on standby (although in 15 some odd trackdays worst I ever saw was a broken wrist and I have seen my share of crashes). It also lets you learn the limits of your bike so you can apply it to the street and save your ass one day when the old lady on the cell phone cuts out in front of you. You will learn massive amounts of info in just one trackday and become a much better rider.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

I have the first weekend in March open if someone wants to start a G2G to talk about open track days. I have the 1st weekend in April open for that event too... Looks like this might be a go for me =)
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King

Will keep checking in on this thread for follow up, thanks.
    Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! Growing old is mandatory- growing up is OPTIONAL! I.B.A. #26543.

Ok so my trip to Germany has been delayed until mid-April and I am back from California. So I am open now through March 9 and then I am gone to South Carolina for a few days. So let me know when is good and we can meet up.

The Team Chicago Race School date is now available - like predicted it is Saturday, April 2, 2011. Fee for 2011 is $45. Still not bad but considering it was $5 a few years ago it is seriously creeping up into the not worth it category. I would say once it passes $75 I would not consider it because it's so early in the season unless it was my first track day ever then it is worth it. But at $45 it is still a great value. And Sunday is test and tune for like $60. So for $105 you can do 2 track days that normally cost $150 each day for a total of $300. Here is the application form:

http://www.teamchicago.tv/2011%20School%20entry.htm
    Redline Superbike

Can we get together maybe on a sunday or something on March 6th? Bullshit about the event, etc?
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King

Yeah March 6 works for me. Just what time and where? I am in Canton.
    Redline Superbike

Who all is interested in meeting up to talk about the April track day? What tiems work for people on March 6th?
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King