Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open track days?

Default Open track days?

I'm just curious if there are many open track days in Michigan, perhaps with instruction as well?

I rode dirt most of my childhood, took a long break, and I've been on a street bike again for the last 2 seasons, but I wouldn't mind some track time to learn more....

Anyhow, thanks for the info guys.
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King

Mudpuppy will be able to help you with this.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

There is a great cheap track day coming up in April.

Cons
    Weather is sketchy - some years it's 60 and some years it snows
    Dan, who runs it, hasn't updated his site since 1962 and the info usually comes out mid-March so not a lot of time to plan

Pros
    You ride with AMA pros and get excellent instruction
    Cheap track day at around $25 - it used to be $5 but it has gone up
    Variety of levels you can ride in anywhere from no gear to pro racer
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Sorry I got distracted by a co-worker asking me to do work - the nerve!

Anyways, info here on the entry form from 2008 (like I said not a top of the line website): http://www.teamchicago.tv/2008%20School%20entry.htm

And here is where the 2011 info will appear when it does (I check the site often and if I see something I will post it up): http://www.teamchicago.tv/home.htm

I would guess $30 this year and Saturday, April 2, 2011 is the school day and Sunday, April 3, 2011 will be test and tune for around $65 (open day to just ride but this is limited to intermediate and advanced - as in you better do REALLY well at the track school on Saturday in minimum of group 3 and FULL GEAR is required on Sunday - it's basically two sessions: numbers and no numbers. Meaning no numbers is intermediate/advanced riders who don't plan to race this year and numbers meaning advanced/expert riders who are racing. If you have never done a track day don't plan on Sunday, you will get passed a lot and you have to hold consistent lines).

Other track info is available at: www.sportbiketracktime.com

They pretty much are the sole track day organization in Michigan for Grattan and Gingerman. They also do days all over the country at other tracks. Out of state there is a variety of organizations like NESBA. If you are looking for specific info let me know. Also if you have a date in mind let me know and I can tell you who will be there - I always know someone at the Michigan tracks for every date there is on their calendars. So you can at least know someone who will be there. I always plan on being at Team Chicago for the April track day and test and tune. Great way to start the riding year.

You will be totally amazed at how much you learn in one track day and how much better you will ride on the street after.
    Redline Superbike

I really appreciate all the info, I really want to attend a couple of these this year. Where are the team chicago events?
    The sportbiketracktime site is really good too, man, I can't wait for warmer weather now... I'll go through my schedule and see what weekends I have free.
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King

I'd love to do the group 5. I will never race, but would love the instruction. Couple questions....
    Would they let me run my sportster? If so, I understand the tape/mirror removal, but how can I safety wire my oil plug? It is a plastic plug at the end of a hose, under the bike. The trans plug is more "wireable".

Team Chicago school is at Grattan in Belding, MI in between Lansing and Grand Rapids. Grattan is basically SE michigan's home track. Some might claim Gingerman but mose will claim Grattan.

Yes you can run your sportster in group 5 and other than tape or mirror removal you don't need safety wire or anything special. Hell you can wear jeans as long as you have long pants, boots, gloves, helmet. Group 5 is open to any and all. I have seen fully dressed harleys riding in that group. Just don't expect too much speed. Still fun though to ride around the track - trust me it is challenging even at low speeds. My brother in law rode his sportster there a couple of years ago and it blew his mind how tricky it is. He said man I really can appreciate what you do now.

If any or all of you want to meet up at a bar and discuss track days I would be more than willing to do so. Or I can post whatever info you want here. I have done about 15 track days at Grattan, Mid-Ohio, Gingerman, VIR. With different organizations. I know a lot of people that do a lot of track days and/or race. So if I don't know something specific I can get you the info.

Best way to dip a toe in and check it out is Team Chicago school in April. You will figure out if you like it or not and meet a lot of cool people (and a handful of assholes who think they are god's gift to motorcycles and you should worship their altar of speed).
    Redline Superbike

It would be good to discuss them in person, that is for sure, do you guys get together ever? =)

As far as god's gifts to motorcycling, those are people I never listen a word from. I don't need to ride at 10/10ths ever, no matter what, my brain is always bigger than my balls, I've seen too many people wreck their rides drifting on track, and I know what it takes to fix that. But also, I like my body in one piece, so I'm good with not being mr top speed, thats for sure. I just want to learn from instructors, they always have something to offer me, something I can learn from them.
    ~Rich
    ~'08 B-King

I am never gonna really race, but I love twisty roads. We don't really have any in MI, but I have been down to the Dragon and loved the roads in that area. SE Ohio is really nice too and a lot closer. I think a little professional instruction would help a lot.

Of course I would like to get together with the group sometime!

I built up a ton of confidence and experience on my very first track day it was really good. I went with Apex 2 Apex but I don't think they do any in Michigan any more. They are fun for sure but can get expensive. At least for me they where. I'd leave on a Friday evening for the 3 hour drive and have a hotel stay so I could be at the track at 7 Saturday morning. So on top of the track time there was a hotel night and dinner and such. I think some tracks have camp grounds you can stay at for cheap though. However if you do this I'd have a camper with a bullet proof lock or find a way to lock your tent because you'll have guys like Mud already all excited about spending a weekend with dudes in leather that he might try and get to you while you're sleeping. Just be warned.

I think if I was to ever own a race bike again it'd be a drag bike. But the road tracks are really fun and you learn a ton.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.