Thread: A day at the range

Default A day at the range

Took my son to the range yesterday. This was his first time shooting a handgun. My plan was to start with the Ruger .22, but I sold it about an hour before we went. Instead, I took the Ruger Security Six and some lightly loaded .38 Wadcutters. We also took the Walther PPK/S and his 1911.

Things started well. There was no one else shooting so we set up at 30' so he could get a feel for it. We shot the Security Six first, each of us ran a cylinder of .38's, then some SJHP's in .357 just so he could see the difference.

Next we went to the 1911. What a great pistol. I checked the serial number after I bought it and found it was made in 1947. It shoots like a good 1911 should, no jams and accurate as hell. All the numbers match too, the gun is 100% original except for the magazine.

Next came the Walther. Two shots and the trigger disconnected somehwere inside the gun. Crap. Field stripped it and took the grips off, jinked around with it, got it working. Reloaded, one shot and the same thing. It repeated this several times.

So we cut our range time short and headed down to Magnum Force. The resident gunsmith is going to look at it tody, and if he can't figure it out they'll send it back to Smith and Wesson. Keep in mind this is a used gun with no warranty, but they stand behind what they sell regardless.

While we were shooting I noticed the front blade on the 1911 is a bit loose, so we dropped it off as well. I'm going to have him restake it before it comes off and gets lost. It'd be a shame to have to put a replacement sight on it when it's so easy to fix now.

They found a Stainless Mark II bull barrel with target sights for me. Right now I'm deciding if I should get it or a new blue Mark III bull barrel for about the same price. The used Mark II is priced a little on the high side for me. It's a good price for a guy off the street if you figure market value, but a little high when you figure my actual cost from the shop. Still, I'd rather have the stainless.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Hell Yeah!
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

Hey, that wasn't a bad day, me and my son spent some quality time together. The gun situation will be taken care of. After we left Magnum Force we went to Elysium and he got another tatoo. All in all it was a good day.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Picked up my son's 1911 yesterday. Restaked front blade and a new grommet for the grip. Cost = $0, they said they stand behind what they sell. The gun is 63 years old and it was a consignment, so I didn't expect them to do anything. Gave the gunsmith $20 anyway, it was worth it. I didn't notice the sight myself until I got it home.

The Walther has to go back to S&W. The trigger bar is becoming dislodged from the frame, no idea why. If it's the frame itself they'll have to replace it, which means a new serial number, which means a new purchase permit. What a pain. I've gotten 3 in the last month or so, 2 in the last week.

Picked up my Ruger Mark II .22 stainless, bull barrell w/ target sites. Gotta pull it apart and get it cleaned up. Fortunately the paperwork is in the box, it's been a long time since I dissasembled one and will need the directions. Those things are a nightmare to strip, it requires a hammer (no shit) preferably a plastic one. I still have my plastic mallet from before.