Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blacked out Honda Big Ruckus

Good point of view for sure man. I would love to try one out if I get the chance.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Good point of view for sure man. I would love to try one out if I get the chance.

When the weather breaks , I'll hook up with some of you who want to learn a little bit about them . I love mine and wouldn't be without one . That said , they're not for every one .

Any one else gettin cabin fever yet ?

TheReaper!

This will give you guys a little insight on why I've been buying these low mileage Big Ruckus scooters up . Not only do I like them a lot , they are so rare they already have some thing close to a cult following . In 2005 they made 882 of them and in 2006 they made 1448 , both years they were made for the U.S. , Canadian and Japanese markets only . Then in 2007 they made a few for the Japanese market only , then that was it they discontinued them . They are the only 2 wheeler that I know of right now that is actually going up in price .

There are several listed here

http://www.cycletrader.com/Custom-Search/search-results?type=Motorcycle|356953&keyword=Big%20rucku s&sort=price:desc&zip=48038&radius=any

Here are some listed on Craigs around the country .

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2125600800.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2124521159.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2118395433.html

TheReaper!

Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
    When the weather breaks , I'll hook up with some of you who want to learn a little bit about them . I love mine and wouldn't be without one . That said , they're not for every one .

Any one else gettin cabin fever yet ?

TheReaper!
    That would be sweet man.

Are all the frames gray? So we can assume that the orange one was tore down and paint/powdered?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    That would be sweet man.

Are all the frames gray? So we can assume that the orange one was tore down and paint/powdered?
    The 2005 model was the school bus yellow , the 2006 was silver . Then the few they made for the Japanese market only were a light tan . At first I did not like the color of the 05 model , that school bus color just didn't appeal to me . Then after I had bought one for re-sale it began to grow on me . Then when I got in to the buying and selling of them , I found out that the yellow was the most sought after color . Now I actually like the color , go figure .

What attracted me to the Big Ruckus in the first place was the military look , and the fact that they didn't have the usual plastic body . I like the lots of hardware look:weldver the fashionable plastic rocket ship look .
    If I were to design a scooter from scratch it would be very close to the Big Ruckus . It would have a slightly bigger engine , maybe 300cc . And it would be a few inches longer for my long legs , and that's about it . Honda made a lot of mistakes with the Big Ruckus , but not in the overall concept . The concept IMO was the best ever , their execution on the rear suspension , the variator and the carb jetting was this scooter's down fall . The Big Ruckus off the show room floor bogged off the line so badly I didn't take it out on the road until I re-jetted the carb , it was that bad . I really found this surprising coming from a company like Honda . But I've heard that Honda doesn't seam to care much about their motorcycle / scooter division any more , a guy at a dealership told me they treat the motorcycle division like a bastard child these days .

TheReaper!

Honda... bastards of the cycle world. I have heard that is truth before.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Default It's done !!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
    A few weeks ago I picked up another 2006 Honda Big Ruckus , it was in an estate . The deceased former owner only put 46.7 miles on it , but did a lot of cosmetic damage to it by loosely carrying it on the back of his RV . I bought it right as far as the price goes , so rather than just paint the damaged areas , I decide to tear it down and change the color . I am doing a blacked out version on this one . It should be done in a couple of weeks , when it's done I'll post some more pics . TheReaper!

This is what it looked like before the tear down

This is the frame after the tear down

This is the frame after the new paint

It looks better in person , so far I'm very happy with the color .

TheReaper!

Looks good man. Smoke out the front blinkers.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

What is the weight on one of those suckers?
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    What is the weight on one of those suckers?
    Almost 400LBS , with me on it a lot more

TheReaper!