Thread: Reloading questions

Default Reloading questions

It's been a while since I've done any loading. I need to make a shopping list. Need you guys to look through this. Hopefully someone has some experience with Lee.

I've decided on the Lee Precision 1000 progressive press. Ok, before we go any further, I know Lee is 'cheap'. I know RCBS, Hornady, Dillon et al are 'better'. I used Lee turret, progresssive, and single stage for years and had no issues, so I'm not looking for press recommendations. I won't buy Dillon because their press only accepts their dies, everyone else is interchangable.

I want to reload both the .38/.357 and .380. The press comes with a powder thrower, my choice of dies, case feeder, primer feeder, basically everything.

If memory serves, the .38 and .380 use the same size primer. Is that correct?

I think in order to swap out sizes I'd need:
    Dies
    A snap-in turret for mounting the dies so I don't have to re-set them everytime.
    A shell plate for the different size casing
    A case feeder (.38 uses the large and .380 uses the small?)
    A primer pin (if they use different size primers)

Other stuff I think I need (excluding components):
    A loading manual
    Scale
    Case lube
    Some method for cleaning such as a tumbler, etc.
    Bullet puller

Do I need a case trimmer? I have a chamfer/deburring tool and a set of calipers already. Never had much of an issue with .38 cases getting elongated, is the .380 bad for that?

Any help is appreciated.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Well for starters I have been using my Lee Loadmaster for about 2 years now and I think it works well. Check this link for Lee.
    I found the best price and the service is good as well.
    He's about 2 miles from the Lee factory.
    http://www.factorysales.com/html/xca...log/index.html

Next I use and recommend Hodgdon Titegroup for all pistol except Magnum. Magnum I use Hodgdon H-110
    If you go with this powder don't buy a manual. All the load data is here.
    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Next I have never had to trim any pistol cases. Magnum included so I would wait and see if you need a trimmer. Probably not though.

Always spend the extra money and get the Lee Carbide Dies. No Lube Required.

Definatly get a snap-in turret for mounting the dies so you don't have to re-set them everytime.

As far as setting up the press you buy any questions call Mark at Factory Sales.
    MARK @ (262) 673-1932

He will be very helpful. Just call him when you have time to talk. He loves to talk! Tell him I sent you(Don Hey)I'm sure he will remember me. My dad bought a press from him also.

I have been using this tumbler for almost 2 years without any trouble. It's a bit noisey but I just stick it in the garage. 1-2 hours and everything is nice and shiney.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=587176

Finally if you ever think you might load rifle you might want to consider the Loadmaster. It loads everything from small pistol rounds to large magnum rifle. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

I used to have a Midway tumbler, I think they were orange back then. My friend with the store has a set, tumbler and separator for one pirce.

Good tip and price on the Lee, but since my friend gives me cost I can beat that by a good margin.

I thought about the Loadmaster but I don't shoot enough rifle to make it worthwhile.

Good tip on the carbide dies too. I'm going to get carbide just because, but I had forgotten about the no lube thing. It's slowly coming back.

Thanks for the confirmation on the trimmer. I never once used one for pistol, but i'm not familiar with the .380. I'll do like you say and skip it for now. If I ever do need one he's 20 mins away.

I shouldn't have any trouble setting it up. I was able to do it ok in my younger days, hopefully I haven't gotten stupider. Then again....

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Reloading's a lot of fun. Good Luck.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Any dies fit in a Dillon press. Other than the "Square Deal".

Nothing wrong with Lee though.

Quote Originally Posted by sprink View Post
    Any dies fit in a Dillon press. Other than the "Square Deal".
    Right, but isn't that their progressive press? Since I want a progessive, the SD is excluded. Do thay make another one?

The 550 is progressive, manually advanced. The 650 is a self indexing progressive. Great machines, but they are more expensive.