Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, well...crap. Second guessing my claiber choice

Default Ok, well...crap. Second guessing my claiber choice

I'm ready to buy. Going to try and get by the PD to grab a purchase permit today and hit Magnum Force as soon as I can. I've been wanting a .380, wanted one for a long time. But the more I look, the more I think a subcompact .40 Smith would be the ticket.

Once I get down there and hold a few it'll be easier to decide. A question though: Does anyone here have a subcompact .40? I mean a 3.5" bbl lightweight? My biggest concerns are recovery time after blowback and muzzle flash.

I could still go either way. You can read ballistics reports for days and the short answer is just about any caliber will do at the distances you're typically dealing with, "a well placed .22" yadda yadda yadda.

One nice thing about the .40 is I won't need to change feed tubes and all the other crap on my reloader, the .40 and .38 use the same size stuff except for dies and shellplate. If I go .380 it has to be converted to the smaller casings whenever I want to switch from .38/357 to .380.

Also, I'm aware .380 ammo is expensive and hard to come by due to recent changes by the gubment. For those shooting the .40, how hard is it to find the ammo, and did the prices go up on it like the .380?

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Wow, am I behind the times. Just called the local PD to find out about a purchase permit. No charge for the first one you pick up each year. No more fingerprinting or inspection. She said just drop the completed paperwork off anytime.

I guess it all changed in January. The only time you have to be printed is if you're getting a CPL.

I cannot believe a democrat run government made it EASIER for me to buy a gun. Go figure.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

You should at least hold a lightweight, hammerless revolver.

I,ve been looking at this in 40 cal.
    Have seen it and held it at the local gun store.
    Fits my hand real good. I have big paws and can't usually say that about sub's. Looks like you should be able to pick this up for about 5 bills.
    http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-2075-rami-p/
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Don't want a revolver. I have a few.

I had a steel framed Kahr in 40. It was not bad to shoot, but it did have full lenght grip. Model K40.
    When I wanted smaller and lighter, I looked at the PM series. The PM40 was hard to shoot. Only two fingers on the frame and light. I went with the PM9.

At a gun show last year saw a Ruger compact 45 ACP.

If I needed another gun, that would be it.

It was well balanced, and 45 with 250 grn manstoppers is devastating at close range.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-P345.htm
    Last edited by WILEY; 11-03-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Also if you can't make it back to the Sheriffs Dept. to drop off the the other 2 sections of the permits you can mail it to them.

Went and got the permit. Surprise! I had to take a test. I had no idea there was a test invloved. Passed with 100%, but admittedly it was like Guns for Dummies.

With any luck I'll have time to go tomorrow. If not then next week. Another thing I didn't know is they now expire in 10 days. Last time I bought a gun the permit was good for 30 days.

I really like the Rami as well.

I've shot some plastic/polymer .40's that was just too much kick for my taste. After a few rounds at the range it was enough and not enjoyable. Not that it needs to be enjoyable but I find if I don't enjoy shooting the gun I won't practice with it as much. Let us know what you end up choosing!
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.