3 21.43%
  • .44 Special

0 0%

4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your caliber here

Default Post your caliber here

Responses to junkyard's post got me to thinking. A lot of diverse answers. It'd be interesting to see what's the most common personal protection round without having to count them. I've tried to include the most common calibers, but the poll is limited to 10 choices so the .44 mag is out! I also left out weird rounds like the .38 Super and the uncommon metric loads you find in Walthers, etc.

I went with the .380 and .38. Small, light, and effective with the right load. Magnums are too scary, too much oomph, they'll go through 3 walls and take out an innocent bystander. I have a Ruger Security Six 6" bbl in stainless that I keep for home defense, but I load it with .38 wadcutters.
    Last edited by telecast; 10-24-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

I guess a lot would depend on if it was protection on the road or in the home. For personal carry I love the .380. Will do just as much damage as a 9mm without the kick, not that the 9mm has that much of a kick. I'm just a firm believer that with the larger guns the kick can be so much that if you miss the attacker first or they are still coming at you, that by the time you get the gun back in control that split second could mean life or death. For the home I really prefer a shorter barrel shotgun but it's not as easy to fling around as a pistol.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I guess a lot would depend on if it was protection on the road or in the home.

Right, I should've qualified it. This is for a carry piece, not home defense.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast View Post
    Right, I should've qualified it. This is for a carry piece, not home defense.
    I carry my 9mm more than my .380 just because it's lighter, but I like my .380 so much more. I really should start carrying it more and just get used to it.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

I picked .38 Special because this is what I load in my Dan Wesson .357 snubby. I do however load them in +P w/Hornady XTP and if I am camping in the backwoods I always chamber the magnum. I like the options this revolver gives me and as Bob said it is harder to recover from the recoil of a hot load.
    Only one qualifier: If your a good shot and plant the first round properly there's nothing better than a big chamber.
    I did mention in another thread the .45 but don't carry that regularly so the .38 it is.
    Last edited by Mad Dog; 10-24-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I do however load them in +P w/Hornady XTP and if I am camping in the backwoods I always chamber the magnum.
    Same here. When the Ruger goes in the woods it gets .357's. Can't remember the round it's been so long since I loaded any. Seems like a Hornady, I know it's an HP, can't recall the powder or charge.

BTW, who voted for the .40 Smith? That's a great round. I'd get one of them before another .45, just too big for everyday carry IMO.
    Last edited by telecast; 10-24-2010 at 11:40 AM.

I picked 9mm because it is what I usually carry. The 32 goes better with beach wear though. While I own a high cap 9, if I carry a big gun it's a 45.

9mm vs .45 is worse than Dino vs Synthetic on a gun forum.

7.62x54 isn't an option

Quote Originally Posted by sprink View Post
    The 32 goes better with beach wear though.
    HA!

Is that a gun barrel or are you happy to see me?

Quote Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
    7.62x54 isn't an option

You carry a Russian rifle in your pocket?