Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ccw

Default Ccw

been thinking about getting my CCW lately and wondering how long it takes to get one? been looking for a nice hand gun but holy crap are they some money LOL. my brother just got his and a CCW, he spent $500 on a S&W 9mm with 3 clips and i was like wtf!!! LOL.

i also noticed all the states i go to honor MI's CCW.

Yeah not all states honor it but those that don't, have shit CCW laws even for their citizens.

It cost $100-$250 for the class.

$500 is cheap for what he got.

9mm will always be cheaper than 40cal

I am a glock man, but also own a rouger for hand guns. Glock isn't the best but it's the most durable. That's my stand and you won't change my pov. My bro's sig was way more accurate because it had more weight that absorbed more of the kickback so it was easier to shoot which made you more accurate. But it doesn't have the glock reliability and ablility to shoot ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, ANY CONDITION.

Search Glock torture test
    http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...ask=view&id=90

This is also the reason why most LEO or other agencies carry them. Unless they have something in their contracts or dept requirements for hammers or safeties. Oh and I'm a anit-safety guy. Neither of my carry guns have a safety. The glock has it's double trigger thing but the rouger LCP has nothing. Both do also have crimson trace lasers as well. I know from my hip where I'm shooting and don't need to traditionally aim.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by junkyardjon View Post
    been thinking about getting my CCW lately and wondering how long it takes to get one? been looking for a nice hand gun but holy crap are they some money LOL. my brother just got his and a CCW, he spent $500 on a S&W 9mm with 3 clips and i was like wtf!!! LOL.

Remember that it's actually a CPL and not CCW.

I'm a CZ guy. I love them. My CZ83 is one of the most accurate and comfortable guns i've ever shot. I'll probably always have one.

If you want something cheaper but reliable I'd look at Kel Tec. I have a KelTec PF9 and really like it. Never a fail in the hundreds of rounds I've shot through it. Their customer service is great and fast too. I actually bend an ejector on mine, long story, and they sent me a replacement, free of charge in two days. They stand behind their guns for sure. Plus they are 100% Made in the USA if that matters.

The KT does not have a safety, it just has a stronger pull. The CZ can either be carried cocked or not. If cocked you can use a safety and the trigger is super light. If not cocked then the trigger is just heavier.

Here is what I strongly recommend. Go out and try and shoot as many ad possible before you buy. If you look for suggestions on line you are going to have the S&W guys saying they are the best, the Glock guys will say theirs is the best, and so on and so on. I'll tell you CZ and Dan Wesson is the best. LMAO But you just have to shoot a bunch and see what you like the best.

p.s. Looked for sued too and you'll save a ton. I know Monroe is a long way away from you but I'll only deal with Magnum Force in Monroe, MI. Nice, honest, small place that will not rip you off.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

Ruger or Kel Tech, either way. CZ is good to, so is Bersa. Any of those would be a good, dependable gun. You can find one in the $300 range. Sig, S&W and Glock are all great pieces, but they're like buying a Harley, you're paying for the name.

A .380 is a short 9mm, also called a 9MM Kurz. You don't need a trendy 9mm, just a steady hand. Even a .25 or .32 is enough in the right hands. A .40 Smith is too large to carry comfortably, IMO. They do make some pocket version, but they're so light they'll beat the shit out of you at the range. That's important since you have to prove your proficiency to get the CPL.

Make the trip to Magnum Force as Bob suggested. The owner is a personal friend of mine. No better prices or better people anywhere.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast View Post
    Ruger or Kel Tech, either way. CZ is good to, so is Bersa. Any of those would be a good, dependable gun. You can find one in the $300 range. Sig, S&W and Glock are all great pieces, but they're like buying a Harley, you're paying for the name.

A .380 is a short 9mm, also called a 9MM Kurz. You don't need a trendy 9mm, just a steady hand. Even a .25 or .32 is enough in the right hands. A .40 Smith is too large to carry comfortably, IMO. They do make some pocket version, but they're so light they'll beat the shit out of you at the range. That's important since you have to prove your proficiency to get the CPL.

Make the trip to Magnum Force as Bob suggested. The owner is a personal friend of mine. No better prices or better people anywhere.
    I agree on the .380. I have a 9mm and .380 and with the right ammo a .380 will do just as much if not more than a 9mm. It's all about shot placement too. Get the gun, practice, get some professional training, and be safe no matter what gun you get.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

Quote Originally Posted by junkyardjon View Post

Does this have to do with all the latest Junkyardjon posts?
    Looking to ship your vehicle across country? We ship cars, bikes, boats, and rv's www.toprankautotransport.com

Oh yeah, opinions on this topic are just as bad as MC manufacture debates.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Go to several ranges shoot there guns find something that you like then get yourself a purchase permit, and start shopping for guns. You can also look at gunbroker and auction arms for some good deals on auctions. Then start shooting a bunch and then buy some holsters and carry around the house and make sure your OK with it. Then pursue your CPL class.IMHO you should have several guns maybe a good solid 9mm range gun, and then a couple of carry pcs., in the cooler months you can get away with a larger frame gun and in the summer a smaller pc. would be more suitable. Check out the laws as well make sure these won't impact you as far as jobs,lifestyle, overall attitude. Check out this website.http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/

Al's advice is good if you know what you're looking at. If you know guns, by all means look for used. I once bought a Colt Commander in .45ACP with a shot out barrel. I knew it ahead of time and knew where to get a new barrel on the cheap, but the dealer was asking the same price as if it were in perfect condition. If I didn't know how to check a bore I'd have paid a lot more money than I should've.

Here are some reviews to get you started. These are for the Ruger LCP .380, the Kel-Tec P3AT .380, and the Kel-Tec P-32. This guy has a ton of reviews, you should be able to find info on many of the guns recommended in this thread.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCP.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec_P3AT.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/JW_Kel-Tec32.htm

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

I am partial to the big caliber handguns myself.

.45 is hard tp beat for stopping power. I would rather shoot once to get the desired result rather than several times.

That being said, whatever you get you have to be able to carry and shoot comfortably.

There are several places around which will rent you a pistol to use on thier firing range. Make a day of it, go fire em, look at carry options to find out what suits you best.

Good luck, have fun.