Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 81 Yamaha Maxim 650 Bobber

Default 81 Yamaha Maxim 650 Bobber

I'm bored here in class so I think I'll make one of these threads.

I picked up this bike a couple of weeks ago (Thanks to ApexFactor for getting it home for me) and took it home to start hacking it up. Anyway heres the pics of what it looked like when I got it.

This week I've had the chance to pull off the front fender, windscreen, turn signals, handle bars, grips, highway bars/engine guard, mirror, and reflectors.

I put on some drag bars with new grips and had to source some new lines for the clutch and brake. Also I'm making new switches for the high beam/low beam switch along with a new horn button and choke because I had to remove the control block that they all were mounted to.

I'm still waiting on a new exhaust and lower rear shocks. After that its repainting this god awful color and adding a solo seat.

Heres a few quick shots of what it looks like now minus clutch cable and with the choke lever resting on the gas tank lol.

I think I saw it on the fighter forum. These pics look much better than the one i saw on the other forum though.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

so are you going bobber or cafe/street fighter look because throw on some rear-sets and you have the later.

what kind of exhaust are you doing? is it still a 4-1 or dual 2-1?

the thing i wondered when i was going to work on my buddies maxim with him (never did anything other than push it into his back yard then we lost touch after he quit work) is how i was going to chop the frame and change the sit. so if you can take some pics cuz i want to see what I would have had to work with.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I think I saw it on the fighter forum. These pics look much better than the one i saw on the other forum though.
    lol Yeah im only on xceed and 2wheel so its not my bike lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rugby66x View Post
    so are you going bobber or cafe/street fighter look because throw on some rear-sets and you have the later.

what kind of exhaust are you doing? is it still a 4-1 or dual 2-1?

the thing i wondered when i was going to work on my buddies maxim with him (never did anything other than push it into his back yard then we lost touch after he quit work) is how i was going to chop the frame and change the sit. so if you can take some pics cuz i want to see what I would have had to work with.
    I'm going with the bobber look. once I remove the rear plastics and seat and lower the bike it will look a lot more street bobber than cafe/fighter than it looks now. Just the solo seat alone lowers the riding position about 2 1/2 inches plus lowering the bike about 3". The exhaust I'm going with is a mac 4 to 1 but I'm going to lose the megaphone muffler if the carbs still play nice and go for a straight pipe.

The bike still has a long way to go but I'll document the whole thing here. :weld:

do work!

great pics..
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

nice lookin bike. i just bought an 82 650 to build over winter. Where did you get those handle bars and grips they look great?

Quote Originally Posted by thrashin302 View Post
    nice lookin bike. i just bought an 82 650 to build over winter. Where did you get those handle bars and grips they look great?
    TCBrosChoppers.com for the drag bars and some random bike shop for the grips. TC bros is awesome though, they are really helpful.