Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is too much?

Default How much is too much?

This could be the start of a battle but I just figured I would ask for some opinions here.
    As I stated in my introduction, I currently ride a 2000 Yamaha R1. My bike has about 22,800 miles on it currently. I hear different opinions all the time about bikes with over 20k on them. Some people consider anything with over 20,000 miles on it high mileage for a motorcycle, others say that's barely anything and the bike is just getting broken in . So I guess what I am looking to find out is what do you all consider to be high mileage for a sportbike?

If it still works as intended then what is the problem?

Isn't the first valve adjustment recommendation on those motors at like 28,000? I know my FZ1 is around that and the motors are similar. As long as it is taken care of it'll run for a long time. Not really sure why people think bikes only last like 20K and are garbage. Look at some of the touring bikes and how many miles end up on those. Also it's not uncommon to see FZ1's on the FZ1 sites with over 100,000 on the clock.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Isn't the first valve adjustment recommendation on those motors at like 28,000? I know my FZ1 is around that and the motors are similar. As long as it is taken care of it'll run for a long time. Not really sure why people think bikes only last like 20K and are garbage. Look at some of the touring bikes and how many miles end up on those. Also it's not uncommon to see FZ1's on the FZ1 sites with over 100,000 on the clock.
    A bike will last as long as its owner loves it.

As Bob said, the motor in your bike has been documented with well over a 100,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Not really sure why people think bikes only last like 20K and are garbage.
    It's because that's what most people have come to expect. Most bikes don't get a lot of miles around here being as we have about 6-7 months of decent weather. A lot of people only take them out a few times a year. Very few ride all year. Since most bikes do have low miles, it's become the norm. And since it's pretty easy to find a bike with low miles, high mileage bikes are frowned on.

BTW, Kelley Bluebook says average mileage for a 2001 R1 (that's as far back as they go) is 31,900.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Headlight from Redline just sold his 2001 R1 with 65,000 miles on it for $2,500.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Yea, so far the bike really hasn't given me any good reason to complain about it (knock on wood), to be honest it still runs just like it did when I bought it. I even still run into people every once and a while at the gas station or in parking lots who think it is a new bike. With all my buddies on later model, fuel injected bike's it seems tempting to trade up for something newer but my bike has a few advantages (no payments, cheaper insurance, can find parts for it on clearance tables at just about any Yamaha dealership).

Have been looking and some 2006 R1 SE's and Ravens but just might end up holding on to this one for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

just keep it and ride the hell out of it. as stated above, most bike owners don't ride much. i know a guy that rides MAYBE 1000 miles a year and he thinks that is alot of miles ahahahahahahaha.

That aint shit. I will have 16k on my 09 ultra by year end. Don't sweat it. Ride dat bietch!

I wouldn't get rid of it unless you blow it up or want to change styles. That's an honest to good bike.

Further, I know a guy that has almost 200k on his Honda F4i.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"