Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, bike runs like shiz!

Default Help, bike runs like shiz!

Ok, at the beginning of the season I replaced the plugs, air filter, oil, tore down carbs and cleaned them. Bike ran great for a while and the last time I rode it, but now after sitting for about a month the bike wont idle, has poor acceleration and backfires when I close the throttle after maintaining cruising speed on the highway. Too rich? I probably need to replace the needle and seat on the carbs but after that I have no idea what to do next. Gas is fresh and I ran Seafoam to clean out the carbs. No luck.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Did you check the plugs? Are they all black?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Did you check the plugs? Are they all black?
    Didn't remove the plugs yet. I'll do that tonight after work.

You certainly could have a stuck fuel valve, or float needle as many call em. Does the bike have a petcock? Close it if it does, and see if the symptoms change. Many times you will get gas dripping from one of the carbs as it floods, both into the intake and out towards the air filter. If you can expose the intakes of the carbs by removing the air filter, you can see it happening. Another worry now is that you could have excess gas in your oil, as this condition can cause the excess gas to wash past your piston rings and contaminate your oil. Might wanna open your oil filler plug and smell. Good luck.

This part:

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    after sitting for about a month the bike wont idle, has poor acceleration and backfires when I close the throttle after maintaining cruising speed on the highway.
    It was fine, then sat for a month, and now runs like crap.

It sure sounds like a stuck float valve. I don't think you'd need to replace anything though, if it happened while sitting it might just be a piece of crud stuck in there. If the plugs prove to be black, I'd try removing the bowl and cleaning things up before I started buying parts.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

sorry but gotta say it after reading the other thread...so is a metric really better than a harley for reliability.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

where are harley carbs from?...... and YES metric is better

Quote Originally Posted by junkyardjon View Post
    where are harley carbs from?...... and YES metric is better
    LOL Japan! I get my carb parts from the Harley dealers.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

I found a/the problem. One of the gas cap screws came loose inside the gas tank and was probably blocking flow through the petcock. I took a magnet and fished out the screw so it seems to be running much better now.

Ok, that's gotta be the weirdest thing I've heard. How in the hell did you find it?

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.