Thread: Steering Lock Issue

Default Steering Lock Issue

So out of no where my steering lock quit working on my Street Bob. If I turn the bars full left and try to lock it - no dice. The key won't turn to the lock position. But if the bars are straight ahead it will go to the lock position but obviously doesn't lock anything.

Any clues on a repair? I can't figure out how to pull the ignition and/or get in there to see whats going on.

Only thing I can think is I got caught in the rain this weekend and had a lot of mud/debris on the front - maybe got some crap up there and is jamming things. Or something just flat out broke.

Thx - Shawn
    ------------------------------------------------
    RIDES:
    2006 Harley FXDB Street Bob
    2003 Suzuki DR650

Sounds like the fork lock pin may have slipped. I can't tell you how to get it apart without looking at the manual, in fact it may need to be drilled and replaced. If it was easy to get it apart there wouldn't be much point in locking it.

I think I recall in the seeing a pressure fit pin (not the same pin as the fork lock) in the shop manual that holds the lock core in place. It is driven in but has to be drilled to be removed. Seems like you drill the pin, the lock core is removed, a new one put in, and the pin (which is pressure fit) replaced. That's how it was on my '00 Sportster.

Maybe Gas will come by and help out, or call the dealer and ask.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Thanks Tele ... I should just break down and buy a repair manual. I'll see if anyone else chimes in.
    RIDES:
    2003 Suzuki DR650

I have never taken one a part. Is yours part of the ignition or a seperate tumbler? I can check either my FLH or sporty service manual to give you more info depending on which one yours is.

Either way there should be a replacement pin for it.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Crisis averted .... I'm a retard. I got to looking better and on mine there is a pin that comes of of the bottom of the frame right behind the neck and it engages a hole in the bottom of the triple tree in order to lock the steering.

The pin is oriented based on the ignition switch ... anyway, somehow the switch had rotated slightly which in turn rotated the lock pin to the point that it couldn't engage the hole anymore. Slight adjustment with a screwdriver and it's fine.
    RIDES:
    2003 Suzuki DR650

Sweet. Got to love free fixes.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"