Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TwoWheelMichigan Run

Default TwoWheelMichigan Run

Ok riders,
    I'm going to try and work on some type of run for us this year. Just a fun run with a stop to eat maybe along the way. No charity or anything like that and no fee to ride.

My first idea is a Prison Run to Jackson. However, I don't see me having the time to check the routes out and so on this year so that might be a next year thing and if we go back roads it's going to be about a 2.5 hour ride each way. We can make it in 1.5 hours each way if we take e-way the entire time but that usually isn't much fun. (These times are from my house)

Another idea I have is maybe more of a meet than a run. We all meet up at a park somewhere. I was thinking of a MetroPark but I'd much rather find a large park with free entrance and maybe a park that doesn't get too crowded. I'm really leaning on Elizabeth Park in Trenton just because I know the park well, there is tons of parking along the road and tons of places to chill out so if there are a couple of parties going on we'll still have room. Plus there is a concession stand with food. Then maybe after or before we can all go for a little ride around the area.

We'd be looking to possibly do this the weekend of August 14th with the 15th being a rain makeup day.

Any input is welcome.

p.s. Please don't get your panties in a bunch if I don't use your suggestions or do what you want to do. It's a statewide site and it's going to be hard/impossible to find something that everyone is going to agree on.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

Tele can probably whip up a good route to Jackson (if he doesn't already have one mapped out). Michigan Ave./M-12 would get you there...

The only problem I see with 12 is the lights. I was on 12 through AnnArbor and Ypsi this past weekend and we got every freaking light. It sucked. LOL

Jackson and the prison is a piece of cake. A ride to the prison for a tour and stop for a bite would be a fine day. Milan is a good jumping off spot for too if we get riders from Canton and other points north as well as downriver.

And here's one route, no US12.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...549&z=10&via=1

This was just one suggested by Google, I can do better if I drag the route.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

This would be my preferred route. A lot of nice roads. Parts of Austin Road between Saline and Manchester rival the WSL.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.834274&z=11

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Here's the prison info:

Old State Prison / Armory Arts Tour
    100 Armory Court
    Jackson, MI 49202
    (517) 795-2112 or (305) 336-1403

Take a guided tour of Michigan's first state prison – now Armory Arts Village. The tours, "From Historic Prison to Artistic Vision," are presented by Judy Gail Krasnow, Armory Arts' resident Storyteller and Author.
    HEAR the history, plus colorful tales of former inmates
    SEE the underground tunnels and solitary cells
    ROAM the Art Gallery
    MEET artists at work in their studios
    VISIT an apartment, formerly over 30 prison cells!
    EAT a delicious pre-ordered lunch at The Old Prison Café, prepared by The Catering Company
    Make an outing of it!

Tours last 1˝ - 2 hours and cost $8.00 per person, or $18 per person with lunch included.

I think it would be cool to ride out to the prison via the scenic route. Do a photo opt at the prison. Then ride to a park for some simple food (burgs & dogs). We just need somebody to meet us at the park with the food (hence in a truck). Leave from there. Hines drive park may be good.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

There are a shitload of parks anywhere out there. City parks, metro parks, state parks, state recreation areas. All we need is a park with built-in charcoal grills. There should be enough saddlebags and bungee cords present to make a quick stop at the store for burgers, dogs, and libation.

Thanks for the help Tele!