Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bobber progress

Default bobber progress

started working on my making my bike more of a bobber style today hopefully i finish it soon i want to ride.

started just by taking off the seat, fender, and fender struts and just looked at it for a moment. i'm not a huge fan of the traditional bobber style fender made out of a trailer fender. so i got to thinking about the huggers on a sportbike tire and wanted a look that was similar so instead of cutting the at the shock(strut) mounts i decided to keep that area and it will help me get close to the look i want by just using the front mounting holes for the fender w/o the fender struts.

So i started to cut my rear fender into a shape i can live with until i pony up some cash for a steel fender. However there is a flat area in the fender that the stock seat used to mount to that needs to be addressed so i went up to o'riellys and grabbed some bondo hoping it would do the trick (now i have no previous experience with bondo so this was a trial and a way for me to have fun since i will eventually be getting a steal fender and do away with the cheap plastic one.

so i ground down the culprit area of the fender and just dumped almost a half a can of bondo into the flat area until it filled up and i was able to sand it down.

after i did all the shaping i wanted and was pretty happy with my work i hit it with some paint i had left over from the rest of the stuff i blacked out on the bike. This is when i realized that i didnt do a good enough job sanding down the area with bondo because the paint brought out all the imperfections of my work so i decide to leave it for now and work on mounting my springer seat.

I some 22 gauge steel i got from lowes a while ago and went about cutting a shape for the pan to mount the seat to because the cross bar on the frame that this style of seat is usually mounted to is too far forward. I could have bought one from west eagle for like 190 dollars but felt that was a little much for a bent piece of steel. so after i cut it out to the relative shape i wanted i had to get creative on how to mount the seat to the pan because i don't have a welder or the skills to weld.

i bought a mount like this and bolted the top part to the front for the hinge

then for the springs i used just the posts for these L-shapes seat spring bungs

i drilled hole in the pan just big enough for the me to hammer the post into the hole and they were really snug but just in case i added a little jb weld to them to make sure they stay. this is how i left it for the day.

now all i have to do is finish shaping the pan the way i want and paint it black to match the frame and im ready to ride.

also i decided to put on my 200 rear tire while i was at it today. it is a 200 metz mounted on the honda vtx rim on a stock shadow spirit hub. The stock rim is 3.5" and the vtx rim is 4.5" which lets me go from a 160 to a 200 tire.

before

after

if anyone has any suggestions let me know because every one in my family thinks im nuts and is no help so any input is appreciated.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

Looks good man even though I did laugh my ass off when I saw the whole you wanted to fill with bondo. I think I would have had a piece of steel welded over it. But yeah good.

Suggestions... don't put blinkers on it, especially not big orange ones. Sorry bob! LOL

Get rid of any stock stickers (like your non-functional swingarm stickers). Paint anything that is chrome to black. The easy stuff... maybe the front sprocket cover, horn, whatever you got.

Maybe do some speed holes in that rear fender. Nice big ones... across the back... start on the sides, go over the rear tire and back around/down. Maybe carry the theme on the front fender... but on that, just run them along the sides. Starting smaller and going bigger towards the center back to smaller at the end.

The wife's nightster has speed holes all over it... front fender struts, belt gaurd, etc. Remember, less weight is the poor man's horsepower. That's why it was so popular in bobbers and board track racers.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

i would have had a piece of steel welded to it but its a plastic fender

Plastic? No shit.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

looks good..
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Looking good man. If you want that stuff welded instead of JB welded let me know and I can do it for you most likely.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

took it for a little test run tonight and i'm thinking i need to get bigger springs because the angle of the seat after my fat ass sits on it is too far backwards and i feel like im going to slide off the back of the damn seat.

You should do an air shock seat like DTP Muscle did on one of theirs. That'd be sweet. But probably a small fortune. lol
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

ok just thought i would throw up a pic of how the bike looks as ive been riding it the past few days. im getting a new 16" seat from larosa which should be here friday.
    [IMG][/IMG]

damnit now that i look at this pic i want my fork lowers black lol