Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batt, R/R, or stator?

Default Batt, R/R, or stator?

I noticed on my VFR while it's running, the little digital clock jumps time randomly by hours at a time. Usually I've found on bikes that a small electrical glitch indicates some other big problem in the system that hasn't made itself known yet.

So I put a meter on the battery, and strange readings, at rest, engine off the batt read 13.6 volts.

Start the engine, and at normal idle volts to the batt are 14.70/72.

Increase engine speed, and the voltage starts to drop as the RPM's increase. For example at 2500 RPM, the Voltage was down to 14.2 then if you shut the bike off you can watch batt volts continually drop from something like 13.93, down to 13.6 or 13.5

I've never seen the charging rate go backwards like that though as RPM increases, and I think 14.7 volts charging is border on high, especially at normal idle. 1100/1200 RPM.

I know the R/R changes DC to AC and regulates voltage flow from stator to battery...

Off the top of anybody head, does this sound like a R/R issue or stator? Or could it be a battery on the edge of giving up?

TIA.

Can you unplug your R/R (also known as VR) from the stator?

You want to measure the AC voltage from the stator. Once you verify that is correct its easy to rule out.

Batt. How old is it? What kind?

R/R or VR is a hard one to troubleshoot. I find its easier to prove the others are bad or good. If all the other pieces check out, then it must be the VR.

I just did this process last summer/fall on a buds bike.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Sounds like it's the stator running on 1 or 2 legs instead of all 3. Pretty much the identical issues I had with my Virago. Although it could also be the Reg/Rec. Without testing it, my money would be on the stator. I'd highly suggest a service manual an test them both out before buying either.
    My current rides:
    02 H-D FXSTDI Softail Deuce
    89 Kawasaki Ninja 750R

I had the same thought about the stator doing that. I have some detailed testing steps now. (Am working on the manual for the bike)

I don't know too much about the battery yet. I have a new one of those coming already too as a matter of maintenance. I don't know anything about the existing batt, and I sort of assumed it lost at least some fluid when it went down.

I'm going out in a bit for more thorough testing and will post results.

Thanks for the replys.

I'm following your train of thought GM, proving other parts bad/good. Stator checked ok including the ohm spec between any two of the legs, and none of the three are grounding out.

I don't know for certain how to check the R/R (yet) but somebody did take the time to mount a small computer fan on it to keep it cool.

The battery I can't tell how old it is, and while it's sealed I did manage to get a look inside of it, and found all the cells low/empty of any water.

So I'll wait for my new battery to show up, charge and install it, and test it all again with a good full battery and that should help narrow it down I think. Oh and making sure each connection is good...

Thanks again for the replies.

Doug... consider buying an AGM battery instead of traditional liqued acid battery. They last longer and handle the vibrations of motorcycles better. You may cringe when I say this, but consider going to Harley and getting one that matches in size. Their AGM batteries are real nice. 1yr full replacement and 2nd year prorated warrenty. Further, I think the best selling point, if you ever need another or to warrenty it, you are never that far from a HD dealer regardless where you are in this country.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadZombie View Post
    Sounds like it's the stator running on 1 or 2 legs instead of all 3. Pretty much the identical issues I had with my Virago. Although it could also be the Reg/Rec. Without testing it, my money would be on the stator. I'd highly suggest a service manual an test them both out before buying either.
    Not all stators are 3 phase. Some are just 2.

Doug... so the stator put out the proper AC voltage and increased with RPM?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Yes, the stator is operating like it should. And the AGM batt is a good idea I'm also going to follow.

Just for grins I took some pics of my current R/R. Evidently this is not an uncommon "mod" to help keep them cool...
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is interesting for the fan. Being its under the plastic fairing...I can see why.

Maybe that is why hd puts em up front in the open air.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

I vote r/r the stator seems to be putting out plenty on both high and low . it is the job of the r/r to pull it all together . you are going to cook that battery soon if you havent already