Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Mackinaw

Default Mighty Mackinaw

I want to take a U.P. trip this summer but I can't talk the wife into crossing the bridge. If I can get her to go I'll probably have to get a cab ride back and bring her bike across for her. I've crossed it a couple times, its a blast.

Anybody planning any trips up there?
    Don't ever let common sense get in the way of a good disaster

Thinking about it. Haven't been over the bridge since I was...3 or so. Definitely a good possibility!
    My current rides:
    02 H-D FXSTDI Softail Deuce
    89 Kawasaki Ninja 750R

I'm in about the same position. I have plans to cross it this summer. August. Will be up that way at FIL's in Alba. Going to go up just for kicks.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

do yourself a favor and use the right lane . the left lane on a bike can give you vertigo and its a bitch to ride on that grating

i heard they raised the rates on the bridge due to not making enough revenue.. also the other problem i have with the bridge is they are always working on it except 1 weekend which is the marathon weekend where you can't ride or drive on it.. but i still want to cross it on the bike sometime.. no plans in the immediate future.. i was up there a couple of summers ago, but not on the bike..
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Quote Originally Posted by snofrog View Post
    do yourself a favor and use the right lane . the left lane on a bike can give you vertigo and its a bitch to ride on that grating

The last time I crossed, the right lane was closed for maintenance and I had to take the grate.

An old biker told me to just let the bike "do what it wants to, don't fight it" ----truer words were never spoken.

The only thing I could add to that is just go slow. There are expansion joints (six I think) I hit them at a slight angle and "let the bike do what it wants" and it tracks through just fine, those gaps look huge when your on a bike, but its not that bad.

Really the first time, just take it easy and its a walk in the park. I'm sure the guys that live up there haul ass across, but take your time and enjoy the view. Last time I was on it the sun was setting it was beautiful up there.

Any guys that live near the big mack have any advice/tips for us southern trolls?
    Last edited by wango; 04-18-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    Don't ever let common sense get in the way of a good disaster

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    The last time I crossed, the right lane was closed for maintenance and I had to take the grate.

An old biker told me to just let the bike "do what it wants to, don't fight it" ----truer words were never spoken.

?

I relax mostly but when it starts sidetracking I get this little star shaped pucker mark on my seat why is that

I've done alot of florida ride'n(shitton of drawbridges) and the ole guy is right just let the bike wander around.

Wango's got the best advice. I went across it several times last summer on my Big Dog K-9. Thought it was the 108" wheel base plus the fat tire (300) skinny tire combo that the grating was not liking but it was just the grating. My Butt cheeks were puckered
    Trainguy

They actually have people that will drive cars and bikes across for you if people are too scared to cross the bridge.

Can you provide information about riding motorcycles across the Mackinac Bridge?
    Answer:
    Motorcycles are allowed to cross the Mackinac Bridge. The fare for a motorcycle is $3.00 per crossing. Extra axles and/or sidecars on motorcycles are $1.50 each. Some motorcyclists are not comfortable about driving on the steel grating (inside lane) of the suspended portion of the bridge. If you are uncomfortable with driving your motorcycle across the bridge, arrangements can be made to have someone drive it for you.