Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running rich

Default Running rich

Ever since I put the custom pipes with 4" baffles I've seen some black smoke coming from my pipes. I'm guessing the bike is running too rich. Could the baffles be causing this? If so I'll just remove them.

I don't have much backstory on your bike, but is it running rich or is it junk burning off the pipes/baffles ? If you think it's running rich find an open streach of road, make a run at WOT, shut'er down while wide open and have a look at the plugs.

Did you have the carb(s) jetted before the pipe swap? If they were jetted for a free-er flowing exhaust, it's possible. Where in the throttle range are you getting the black smoke? If you already have a jet kit, you could try dropping the needle jets down a slot too; i.e. move the C-clip from 3 slots from the top up to 2 slots from the top.

Hell, if the baffles aren't too hard to remove, pull 'em. If the smoke stops, ya found your problem ;-)
    My current rides:
    02 H-D FXSTDI Softail Deuce
    89 Kawasaki Ninja 750R

My 2001 FB is injected, maybe his is too.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadZombie View Post
    Did you have the carb(s) jetted before the pipe swap? If they were jetted for a free-er flowing exhaust, it's possible. Where in the throttle range are you getting the black smoke? If you already have a jet kit, you could try dropping the needle jets down a slot too; i.e. move the C-clip from 3 slots from the top up to 2 slots from the top.

Hell, if the baffles aren't too hard to remove, pull 'em. If the smoke stops, ya found your problem ;-)
    Well I rejetted the carb last year with the Hard Krome pipes on. Then I installed 2 straight pipes with a 4" baffle.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorbusiness View Post
    My 2001 FB is injected, maybe his is too.
    No, it's carbed. It's a 2002 Vulcan Drifter 800.

^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Well I rejetted the carb last year with the Hard Krome pipes on. Then I installed 2 straight pipes with a 4" baffle.
    Hmmm...I wonder how much backpressure those baffles add. It seems like you went to a free-er flowing pipe for the most part. If anything it should be running leaner unless the baffles are causing a big restriction.
    My current rides:
    02 H-D FXSTDI Softail Deuce
    89 Kawasaki Ninja 750R

That's what I was thinkin'.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadZombie View Post
    Hmmm...I wonder how much backpressure those baffles add. It seems like you went to a free-er flowing pipe for the most part. If anything it should be running leaner unless the baffles are causing a big restriction.
    Actually the Hard Kromes where straight through. These baffles capped it off a lot more than what it was.