Thread: Chatterbox XBi2 review

Default Chatterbox XBi2 review

http://chatterboxusa.com/cbxbi2fkit.html

Pretty much everytime I ride it's with the same buddy of mine, so we figured getting a couple of these would be worth it.

Purchase - Very easy, got them from Amazon from Racer Parts Warehouse. I like local business, but I also like saving over $50

Install - Easy, the directions were good for the installation. My inner liner doesn't come out so hiding the wires wasn't an option, but my buddy said it was a PITA to hide them.

Syncing - Linking the box to my bluetooth phone took maybe 5 seconds, syncing the chatterboxes took a few tries. Here's where the directions sucked. After linking them up, you need to push the round button on the front to activate them which isn't in the directions. It took a few minutes to figure it out, cause a couple times they became unsynced during the process.

Operation - They work very good. Sound quality is good, although you have an open mic all the time so you hear the other person breathe occasionally. Moving the mic might fix that. Talking is easy, barely have to raise your voice. Around 35-40 mph they are clear as day, very little wind noise. At freeway speeds (90-110) they are just as clear with obviously more background noise if you're not behind the windscreen. I didn't receive any calls when I had it on so I can't report on that yet. You do have white noise all the time.

Range - We got separated at one point and lost communication, but that was when we were about 1/4 mile away from each other and I was under an underpass at McNichols and he made the light to 75 South, but we could talk until he hit the freeway. But we rode for a little while about 1/8 mile apart and they were just as clear.

Overall - I'd give them a 4.5 out of 5. 4 eyes are better than 2, it can pass the time when you're out riding for a couple hours at a time, and it eliminates having to make up arm signals.

Competition - We were debating between the Cardo Scala and these, ended up with these because of other reviews about the monotone sound associated with the Scala's, although these were about $60 more per unit.
    Last edited by vortech302; 04-01-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Good deal man. Keep us posted on how you like them as you use them more.

I use to run chatterboxes back in the day (2005 and sooner). They were good.

Now I just use cb for bike to bike... built right into the HD.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    I use to run chatterboxes back in the day (2005 and sooner). They were good.

Now I just use cb for bike to bike... built right into the HD.

The previous owner didn't opt for the CB option:weld:
    I received a couple calls with it today. One person didn't even know I was on the bike till I told them. The only negative is not knowing who is calling.

Yeah could be a crazy X and you're just answering...

That being said... some phones will speak to you thru the phone and tell you. My samsung instinct did that.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Yeah could be a crazy X and you're just answering....
    Lucky for me I'm pretty much a P---- deterrent these days.