Thread: help with new throttle cable

Default help with new throttle cable

ok so with the new ape hangers i put on i had to put new throttle,clutch and brake lines on and i am having a problem with the throttle cable.

i am just going with the throttle pull cable and am dumping the return because of money an ascetic reasons. however i have it attached at the handle but down by the carb where it attaches i have too much slack in the line and cant get it to adjust properly. anyone have any hints or help.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

You're adjusted all the way out at the carb and the throttle as well? I could suggest about a half-dozen hillbilly ways of dealing with that, but if you're only going to run one cable, probably best to do it right. I'd lay it out next to the old cable and see if you have the same amount of bare cable showing with both.

If it is, I'd check to see if the the cable ends are in the right notches in the throttle and carb.

If they aren't showing the same amount of bare cabling, I'd send it back and get one that does.
    My current rides:
    02 H-D FXSTDI Softail Deuce
    89 Kawasaki Ninja 750R

i just delt with this on my tx 500 project. what you need to do is extend the cable end bracket at the carb and than put a return spring on it. or dont forget to twist it back.
    the part im talking about will attach to the carb and hold the sleeve of the throttle cable. once you extend that via welding a section in the middle of the bracket. in turn this would take up the slack. there are other ways to do this like cutting the cable its self and crimping on a new end but that seems like it would be easy to screw up the crimping with out buying the proper tool and than your stuck buying a new cable. Send me a pm if you want a hand with any thing.

ok got it fixed i had to grad my dad for a second set of hands but its done. went for a ride tonight and apes took some getting used to but damn it felt good to go for a ride again.

Pics or it doesn't exist!!! NOW!! or else!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

im putting on my iso grips that should be here by tmr then i will. i felt kinda stupid tonight riding with only one grip... and after i left i realized i didnt have any mirrors on either, its a good thing it was only a short ride but i was too excited. after i get all the final touches done ill post some pics and maybe even a a video if your lucky.