Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 XL883 Sportster

Default 2000 XL883 Sportster

Sold
    Last edited by telecast; 06-10-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Good lookin bike!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

A lot of people don't like the yellow. I admit it had to grow on me, but it does look nice once you get used to it.

And it's really easy to find in a sea of black!

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Battery installed, test rode after storage, ready to ride!

How hard is it to add forward controls?

Not hard at all, most of it is spelled out in the service manual. The hardest part is pulling the old peg mounts, you have to pull off the front sprocket cover (brake side) to remove it.

You do have to watch which ones you buy, there are some really cheap ones for around $200 which are crapola and use all kinds of extra brackets. Then there are the ones from HD which require a second mortgage.

The best aftermarket set I found were on ebay for around $280. They are the same setup as the HD version, and simply bolt on where the highway bars are now. They use the same shaft for the pedals and pegs, and just a simple linkage back to the shifter and brake. No extra brackets. Had I kept the bike it was the first thing I was going to do.

The set I found doesn't come with pegs, but the highway pegs on it now will fit, just remove them from the bars.

Here's the set, they're less than I remembered. Nice and clean, no funky brackets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...item33551818a7

You could probably even find someone online wanting to trade their forwards for your standard set.

Good point. When I was asking questions about them on the Sportster forum a guy offered to buy my midmounts after I installed the forwards.

Tim: You can't have to many bikes, Ride them both!!!
    Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! Growing old is mandatory- growing up is OPTIONAL! I.B.A. #26543.