Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mono shock conversion on my 74 tx500

Default Mono shock conversion on my 74 tx500

Well tonight i got every thing all tacked together for my mono shock conversion on my tx500 cafe project that is turning more and more into a vintage moto gp bike and less and less like a cafe bike. I did not take any pictures of it all together tonight. next time i head out for a smoke ill get some. but here it is as of last night. i built the swing arm cradle out of 7/8 dom .120 wall. a little on the thick side but i needed strength. Tons and tons of planning went into this thing. I now know more about suspension geometry than i ever hoped to know.

So when the moment of truth came tonight to drop it down off the jack and see if the single showa shock from a 75 cz dirt bike would work with all by its self....... it failed. the suspension design works flawless only problem is the spring rate needs to be doubled. So like i figured i would have to do i need to source a more modern mono shock. So if any one has a mono shock laying around that is 13.5" eye to eye please let me know. I'm watching a few on ebay but i hate spending so much on shipping! Im so glad i checked it before i did any final welding. I may have to change the mounting tabs for the shock depending on what i can find.

Enjoy.:weld:

o yea in these pics the shock is just zip tied into place.

and again...im a pic whore

saggy ass

Looks good! I like it! ALLOT

I would think you could snatch a shock from a sport bike that would easily do the trick. Have some boys like Mud measure up his...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I have one that may work for you. It measures around 13 1/4 eye to eye, now it's from a litre bike but should work and the price is right. I'm in Shelby twp, you're more then welcome to come pick it up, PM me.

Looking good man!

Quote Originally Posted by fz1bill View Post
    I have one that may work for you. It measures around 13 1/4 eye to eye, now it's from a litre bike but should work and the price is right. I'm in Shelby twp, you're more then welcome to come pick it up, PM me.
    That sounds great! ill shoot you a pm Thanks!

Hey thanks again for that shock Bill, as soon as i got home me and my buddy knocked off the old tabs and re tacked them with the new shock in place. This time when the jack was taken down it stayed!!!!! it works perfect. Im heading out to the garage in a bit to finish weld and reinforce the tabs more. I will have new pics up tonight.

Thanks!
    Bryan

Glad I could help Bob or Bart whatever your name is lol.

hahaha the best part is i noticed when i got home that your damn name is part of your screen name. I just failed all around on that one. I owe ya dinner, well go up to the gathering place ill bring my training wheels hahaha

well you got that sorted out quick good job cant wait to see pics
    Formerly known as Rugby66x