Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike won't start

Default Bike won't start

It's a 1999 F4. Bike was sitting for a little while, went to go start it, battery was dead. We jumped it, bike started but since my friend forgot to set the choke it died.. We tried to go again but this time it wouldn't start.

We tried jumping it again, the bike wouldn't start. So I charged the battery, again, the bike wouldn't start.

I bought a new battery, bike wouldn't start.

I hear the starter relay clicking but I can faintly hear the starter gear trying to come out.

All fuses are good.

Is my starter dead? I connected it directly to the battery and still, no avail

Are starters hard to do?

Can you acess the solenoid on the starter? Clean up the contacts?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Can you access the solenoid on the starter? Clean up the contacts?
    I'll see what I can do... It's pretty crammed in there.

i wouldn't recommend jumping it unless you have to.. better to charge the battery up overnight or for a few hours.. i assume you are jumping it off a car? good way to fry the electronics..
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Sounds like it is the starter. Did you have the engine grounded to the battery when you jumpered directly from the positive battery post to the starter post? If it won't spin the starter at that point, chances are that it (the starter) is toast. Make sure you're reading >12VDC at the battery terminals as well.

I don't have knowledge of your bike specifically, but in general starters aren't TOO hard to replace. You most likely will have to pull a side engine casing to replace it, so be prepared to pick up a new gasket. Check a service manual to be sure...or if you have a good parts guy at your local dealership, he might even be able to walk you through it.
    My current rides:
    02 H-D FXSTDI Softail Deuce
    89 Kawasaki Ninja 750R

Quote Originally Posted by RoadZombie View Post
    Sounds like it is the starter. Did you have the engine grounded to the battery when you jumpered directly from the positive battery post to the starter post? If it won't spin the starter at that point, chances are that it (the starter) is toast. Make sure you're reading >12VDC at the battery terminals as well.
    If you're talking about the regular battery ground, then yes.

Brand new battery. Time to order one off ebay!

Might be even easier than I led on. Looking at the shop manual for my Ninja, it installs like a car starter...just a couple bolts on the outside of the engine and it pulls right out. Hopefully your CBR is similar.
    My current rides:
    02 H-D FXSTDI Softail Deuce
    89 Kawasaki Ninja 750R

I wouldn't call it quits on the starter just yet. And I would never junk it till you had it checked out at a starter shop.

And yes... when jumping a bike... its ok. just be sure the car's motor isn't running. Cars alternators put out too many amps... will fry your little bike wires.

As far as a battery. consider checking with your local HD. They carry REAL nice AGM batteries for bikes. Decent warrenty (1yr full 2yr prorated aka norm). Certainly other more expensive batteries will carry a better warrenty, but they cost more to begin with plus the warrenty that you have to ship the battery is useless when your bike dies the week before a ride event.

Is the starter making any noise?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

i would never jump a bike off a car.. bad idea.. if all else fails push start the motherfucker.. do you have any idea what the operating voltage of a car is? try like 40,000 volts.. so you are going to dump that into your tiny bike battery and electronics? gee that's smart - NOT!
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

I have a dumb question. It sounds like the battery has been in the bike the whole time? If so, have you ever pulled the cables and cleaned the terminals? I can't tell you the number of times I've seen this as the only problem, even with trying to jump it.

Also, it's probably not a good idea to let the bike's system recharge a discharged battery. I'd start by pulling the battery, cleaning eveything, and charging it off the bike, then reinstall and see what happens.

My worthless $0.02.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.