PDA

View Full Version : I reckon I dicked up

telecast
12-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Waited too long to winterize. I was hoping for one decent (dry roads, no salt or snow) weekend day to ride it around for a half hour and get the stabilizer through the injectors, didn't happen.

If'n it was you, would you:

Say screw it and let it go, or,

Run it in the garage for a bit?

I really don't want to let it idle for 1/2 hour, and I don't want to run it for 10 minutes and shut it off. I think I'd be further ahead letting it set than getting it just warm enough for condensation to form.

Bob
12-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd just throw some SeaFoam in the tank, rock the bike to mix it up and let it run for a few.

telecast
12-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I put Sea Foam in the tank after topping it off a few weeks ago, just never got it back out.

On the other hand, since my first motorized two wheeler at age 9 I can remember winterizing exactly ONE bike, and that'd be the Sporty this year. :eek:

I just put them in the garage and walked away. Didn't pull the battery, add stabilizer (hell, I don't even know if they had stabilizer back then!), nadda. I don't recall anything bad ever happenig when I went to start them in the spring.

Not sure why I'm, so worried about it this time, I'm sure it has something to do with age. My three guesses are:

1) More responsible than I was
2) More anal than I was
3) More worriesome than I was

Number one ain't likely, so that leaves 2 and 3!

vortech302
12-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I haven't winterized my bike for any winter, just go out and start it every couple weeks and move it a couple feet

Bob
12-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I haven't winterized my bike for any winter, just go out and start it every couple weeks and move it a couple feet

That's what I do too.

Gas Man
12-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Very very bad. Each time you start it, you create heat and humidity inside the combustion chamber, that hhumidity condensates on the cylinder walls, cam, crank, rockers, exhaust, etc., that then turns to surface rust. Which of coarse is very bad. If you're not going to do anything than do just that. Do nothing. In the spring pull it out, change the oil and go.

Tele... I would do like Bob said. Throw seafoam in the tank, shack it, top it off with a gas can, run it in the garage. If you have a trusty jack or lift you could drive it with the rear wheel off the ground. Change the oils or whatever level of winterizing service you give er. battery tender it. Wash or clean & wax it.
D
O
N
E
!

Mad Dog
12-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Agreed. Whatever condition you park it in leave it that way till spring. Do not start until ready to ride.:drag:

Bob
12-20-2009, 08:56 AM
I tried starting mine last night and the battery was dead. I forgot to plug in the battery tender.

telecast
12-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Very very bad. Each time you start it, you create heat and humidity inside the combustion chamber, that hhumidity condensates on the cylinder walls, cam, crank, rockers, exhaust, etc., that then turns to surface rust.

True dat. I though most people were aware that a short run is worse than none at all. If you can't get it good and hot to burn it out, don't start it.

Supposed to be up in the 30's next week. I'll give it one more shot to get a dry road between now and then. If it doesn't work out I'll pull the battery and be done.