PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go to the gun range?

Bob
11-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I was sort of thinking of MAYBE doing a meet at one of the local gun ranges this winter.

RedneckMedic
11-30-2009, 08:29 PM
ive been to top gun before for a bachelor party. was a good time i would do it again

Bob
11-30-2009, 08:32 PM
ive been to top gun before for a bachelor party. was a good time i would do it again

Good deal. I've only been to Top Gun twice and it was a long wait both times. I usually end up going to Wolverine. Their lanes are older and crappier but it's usually easy to get a lane. Oh and I don't think Wolverine has heated lanes so it can get cold in the winter. LOL

Gas Man
12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Wolverine doesn't have heat. I don't go there.

I do freq top gun. Enough that I even have a membership.

I have never had a problem getting in. However, I do usually go during the day during the week.

telecast
12-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I have never had a problem getting in. However, I do usually go during the day during the week.

Which is why I don't go to public ranges, those places are packed on weekends.

I've been out of shooting for quite awhile. I used to belong to a nearby sportsman's club. You pay your dues, you shoot for free. I'm planning to join again soon, just need to get a hold of a guy I know there to sponsor me and hope they have some openings. When I was a member before they had a limited number of memberships to stop overcrowding.

What kind of shooting do you guys typically do? Me: Handgun, rifle, shotgun, archery. For everyday shooting type stuff it'd typically be handgun. I have my eye on a Ruger LCP .380 right now, nice little pocket gun. Current handguns include a couple of .22's, a .357 and a .44 black powder.

'Shameless plug'
For excellent prices and service, check out Magnum Force in Monroe. The owner is a good friend of mine. Before he had the shop he and I did a lot of gun shows together. Maumee, Saline, Lansing, Gibraltor. He's a good guy and you won't find a better deal on guns.

Bob
12-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Which is why I don't go to public ranges, those places are packed on weekends.

I've been out of shooting for quite awhile. I used to belong to a nearby sportsman's club. You pay your dues, you shoot for free. I'm planning to join again soon, just need to get a hold of a guy I know there to sponsor me and hope they have some openings. When I was a member before they had a limited number of memberships to stop overcrowding.

What kind of shooting do you guys typically do? Me: Handgun, rifle, shotgun, archery. For everyday shooting type stuff it'd typically be handgun. I have my eye on a Ruger LCP .380 right now, nice little pocket gun. Current handguns include a couple of .22's, a .357 and a .44 black powder.

'Shameless plug'
For excellent prices and service, check out Magnum Force in Monroe. The owner is a good friend of mine. Before he had the shop he and I did a lot of gun shows together. Maumee, Saline, Lansing, Gibraltor. He's a good guy and you won't find a better deal on guns.

I just go and shoot my hand guns.

I second Magnum Force. It's the only gun dealer I deal with!

Fishman
12-01-2009, 08:16 PM
There is a range not 5 minutes from my house...I can hear gun shots all day..but not enough that it bothers me..I know people that go there and say it's one of the best around..It's at Island Lake State park...I've never been but keep meaning to go..all I have is a 22 rifle but still it would be fun to shoot a little...it hasn't been used in about 3 or 4 years..

Bob
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
There is a range not 5 minutes from my house...I can hear gun shots all day..but not enough that it bothers me..I know people that go there and say it's one of the best around..It's at Island Lake State park...I've never been but keep meaning to go..all I have is a 22 rifle but still it would be fun to shoot a little...it hasn't been used in about 3 or 4 years..

I have a .22 single shot bolt action rifle. It's a fun little gun to target shoot with and ammo is dirt cheap. I actually shot mine last year for the first time in about 16 years. Shot like a champ. I like it because it'll shoot long or short ammo.

Gas Man
12-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Tele... i shoot my hand guns. If I want to shoot shot gun. I take my skeet thrower and go the FIL up north.

I have a Glock 23 40 cal and the Ruger LCP as well. My LCP I equipped with a Crimson Trace laser sight and a Recluse pocket holster. That is what I have been using more so anymore for my CCW. Either way... I'm ALWAYS carrying. Have been for quite some time.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

vortech302
12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Tele... i shoot my hand guns. If I want to shoot shot gun. I take my skeet thrower and go the FIL up north.

I have a Glock 23 40 cal and the Ruger LCP as well. My LCP I equipped with a Crimson Trace laser sight and a Recluse pocket holster. That is what I have been using more so anymore for my CCW. Either way... I'm ALWAYS carrying. Have been for quite some time.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I'll be in good company, hopefully picking up my Glock 23 sometime soon.

Gas Man
12-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Love my Glock. I have the 23 and so does 3 of my other buddies. Great gun.

Hell who am I kidding. I love all my guns.

telecast
12-02-2009, 07:48 AM

That's what's great about this club. Shotgun, trap, skeet, or scatterboard (for testing patterns). Handgun, 25 thru 100 yards. You can shoot closer using the portable target stands. Archery, indoor, outdoor, outdoor hunter, 3D. Black Powder, 25 through 100 yards. Rifle, 50 through 600 Yards. (Over 200 yards is only usable during events due to the distance and logistics of the property). Pin shoots, turkey shoots, silhouette, leagues, the works. You can shoot ANYTIME you want during daylight. There is usually no one there unless there's a shoot.

I have a Glock 23 40 cal

I was seriously considering the Smith .40 round, but I want a small gun for pocket carry. Once you get them that small it's a tough round to practice with.

...and the Ruger LCP as well. My LCP I equipped with a Crimson Trace laser sight and a Recluse pocket holster. That is what I have been using more so anymore for my CCW.

How do you like it? I really want a Walther PPK, but every since Smith and Wesson started building them and had that massive recall they're tough to find. Plus they cost so damned much. I also looked at the Kel-Tech, same idea as the LCP, but I'd much rather spend the $ on a Ruger.

Bob
12-02-2009, 05:36 PM
How do you like it? I really want a Walther PPK, but every since Smith and Wesson started building them and had that massive recall they're tough to find. Plus they cost so damned much. I also looked at the Kel-Tech, same idea as the LCP, but I'd much rather spend the $ on a Ruger.

I LOVE my Kel-Tec man. I have a buddy that has a couple as well. A VERY reliable gun, has NEVER failed me and it's a perfect carry gun. Plus they are made in Florida so parts are cheap and easy to get if you need them and I know KT's customer service is great. They really stand behind their products. I got mine down at Magnum Force. I also have a CZ that I really like but it's steel and after getting used to the KT the extra weight is noticeable.

telecast
12-02-2009, 08:43 PM
The only Kel-Tech he had was navy blue with a stainless slide. Yuck. Black would've been ok.

But I'm a Ruger fan. My .357 and one of my .22's are Rugers. Used to have a .44 Mag Super Redhawk and an Ultralight 30.06, can't recall the model. They're dependable and solid.

Most punishing gun I ever owned: Thompson Center Contender, 14" bbl shooting a .35 Remington rifle round. That thing'd rattle yer teeth! It made the .44 mag seem pretty mild.

Gas Man
12-02-2009, 08:50 PM
That's what's great about this club. Shotgun, trap, skeet, or scatterboard (for testing patterns). Handgun, 25 thru 100 yards. You can shoot closer using the portable target stands. Archery, indoor, outdoor, outdoor hunter, 3D. Black Powder, 25 through 100 yards. Rifle, 50 through 600 Yards. (Over 200 yards is only usable during events due to the distance and logistics of the property). Pin shoots, turkey shoots, silhouette, leagues, the works. You can shoot ANYTIME you want during daylight. There is usually no one there unless there's a shoot.

I was seriously considering the Smith .40 round, but I want a small gun for pocket carry. Once you get them that small it's a tough round to practice with.

Yeah a guy at work runs a gun club. But its up north. Fine when I lived that way but now, not feasible.

I love the LCP. Its perfect. Fits in my hand and its light. Plus with the laser sight I can shoot it from any body position. No guess to where the bullet will go and no lining up the sights. The recluse holster is perfect. In the pocket, trigger retention and slides out easily. Also eliminates the gun imprint in the pocket.

Bob
12-02-2009, 09:08 PM
The only Kel-Tech he had was navy blue with a stainless slide. Yuck. Black would've been ok.

But I'm a Ruger fan. My .357 and one of my .22's are Rugers. Used to have a .44 Mag Super Redhawk and an Ultralight 30.06, can't recall the model. They're dependable and solid.

Most punishing gun I ever owned: Thompson Center Contender, 14" bbl shooting a .35 Remington rifle round. That thing'd rattle yer teeth! It made the .44 mag seem pretty mild.

Yeah, mine is all black. I polished some parts a while back but that's all I've done to it. What model was it? I have the PF-9.

telecast
12-03-2009, 08:02 AM
What model was it? I have the PF-9.

Didn't get that far into it. It was a Kel-Tec (Tech?) .380 pocket gun. Nylon frame, etc.

Rider
12-17-2009, 09:29 AM
I spend some time every so often at Silver Bullet in GR. Nice place. I usually go there to sight in my hunting rifles. They have a nice bench vice and since it's inside(no wind) you can sight your rifles in to be pretty damn accurate. It's only 25 yards so you just have to make sure if you want a 100 yard zero you have to shoot about an inch and a half below the center.

Chain
12-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I have my own 300 yard range love to shoot the M1A and the AR's (built all our selves). I also have my FFL and can get damn near anything at cost +shipping and transfer fee of 10.... Just in case any one is interested. Usually can't beat that. NO shop, no over head, just enough to renew the license every few years. :)

Mad Dog
12-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I have my own 300 yard range love to shoot the M1A and the AR's (built all our selves). :)

I belong to a club that has a 300 yard range. Got an AR10 that shoots sub moa. I love shooting long distance. Hooked up with a guy on Big Dog about 30 minutes north of me with a 600 yard range. Can't wait to try that next spring.

vortech302
12-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I went and picked up a purchaser's permit, came home to change cause I was on the way home from the gym, went downstairs to get clothes from dryer and my basement was flooded. Maybe for Valentine's Day I'll treat myself to a Glock 23.

Bob
12-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I went and picked up a purchaser's permit, came home to change cause I was on the way home from the gym, went downstairs to get clothes from dryer and my basement was flooded. Maybe for Valentine's Day I'll treat myself to a Glock 23.

Sewer or hot water tank?

Gas Man
12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
or sump?

I have a Glock 23. Great gun. We ever all go out shooting, I'll let you blast some rounds thru it.

vortech302
12-20-2009, 08:58 AM
All the downspouts went into the ground at the base of the house and I assumed from there they went out to pots away from the house. But, I was wrong and water came in from a couple walls. Easy fix I hope, just put extensions on but haven't had rain since to find out. Now I don't want to spend any extra money cause the guy I bought the house from wasn't "hands on when it comes to fixing things", and he "never had any water in the basement". Must've been a fluke.

telecast
12-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Odds are if they went into the ground they are connected to your footer drain, which is in turn connected to either a storm line or illegally into the sewer line.

If your sewer didn't back up (does it stink?) then it might go into a storm line, which is probably clogged. Or as GasMan said, maybe a sump pump took a shit.

Removing the roof drains and running them on the ground will help, but if you don't find the root cause it'll keep happening. It won't be as bad, and it'll take larger storms, but it'll keep happening.

To figure it out, remove one of the downspouts and stick a tape measure down there to see how deep it is. If it's a little deeper than your basement floor it's tied to the footer drain.

If the water is still in the basement, have someone flush a clean toilet and watch to see if it comes up any of the floor drains. If so, the entire thng is connected to the sewer line, pretty common. You need Roto Rooter.

If they are conencted to the sewer line and your city ever does smoke testing they'll find it and make you disconnect, which can be big money. Disconnect the gutters from the ground connection as you suggested, then close off the connections into the ground. You can stuff some paper in there and cap with a small amount of ready-mix concrete. That'll stop smoke from coming out on your property via your sewer line and tipping them off.

vortech302
12-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the good info Tele.

I haven't had water since, and the sump water had a swampy scent to it, I'm hoping that is cause the backyard is graded toward the house and the standing water from where the sump was dumping was getting pulled back in. I put those extensions on the downspouts and a 10' downspout on the sump and bought some paver bricks to put over the holes mostly for rodent control, the cement is a much better idea though.

telecast
12-20-2009, 11:03 AM
One more thing, make sure you pour some water down your floor drains every once in a while. They're trapped, but if they don't get used the trap will dry out. That can cause sewer smell in the house, but it can also let smoke from testing into the house. Most people call the fire department, and the city finds out anyway! I can't tell you how many we've found just like that.

If your backyard is graded toward the house you may want to extend any drains around the sides so water flows away.

Did you test the sump pump to make sure it's flowing properly? Does it empty the crock like it should? It sounds like you may have a slow drain, maybe roots. If the pump can't get it out fast enough it'll keep happening. If it looks slow, toss some copper sulfate in the line, it'll kill the roots. You can get it at any hardware store.

seatmaker
12-23-2009, 01:23 PM
We hit the Firing Line in Westland at least every other weekend during the winter. Get's pretty busy sometimes especially when they block 8 lanes for classes.

alhall88
12-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I have my own 300 yard range love to shoot the M1A and the AR's (built all our selves). I also have my FFL and can get damn near anything at cost +shipping and transfer fee of 10.... Just in case any one is interested. Usually can't beat that. NO shop, no over head, just enough to renew the license every few years. :)

Sweet I thought you gave up your FFL. So if I get a good deal say at Bud's gun shop I can ship to you ?

Well I don't have a 300 yard range but we can shoot in my backyard if you guys want to. I have a good size mound with a barrier in front for shooting paper. I'm slowly working on a berm so I can add some metal targets/tree's.

Mad Dog
12-23-2009, 07:39 PM
We hit the Firing Line in Westland at least every other weekend during the winter. Get's pretty busy sometimes especially when they block 8 lanes for classes.

What do they charge you guys per hour to shoot. I get hit at $17.00 per hr.:( I need to join a club with an indoor range.

seatmaker
12-24-2009, 09:39 AM
What do they charge you guys per hour to shoot. I get hit at $17.00 per hr.:( I need to join a club with an indoor range.

For myself I pay $10- for a half hour. Think it's 15 for the hour. We bought a bunch of rounds from a handloader here locally, which are awesome and haven't had a misfire yet, for about $11-12 bucks a box of 50 which made it a little more affordable. It's stopping at Hooters afterwards that hits the pocketbook.

Mad Dog
12-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Been loading my own for a while now and it saves a bunch of money. Also it's a great hobby that keeps me out of trouble.:rolleyes: Hey wait a minute. That's no fun.........
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/P1010007-1.jpg

Bob
12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I think I pay $11 an hour and $8 a half at Wolverine.

Bagger Dave
12-24-2009, 09:56 AM
It's stopping at Hooters afterwards that hit the pocketbook.

that will usually do it!!:D:cool:

telecast
12-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Been loading my own for a while now and it saves a bunch of money. Also it's a great hobby that keeps me out of trouble.:rolleyes: Hey wait a minute. That's no fun.........
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/P1010007-1.jpg

I used to love reloading. At the time I was young and just married, never had a permanent setup. I did it on a folding table in the dining room of our apartment. At my peak I had a single stage, a turret press like yours, and a progressive. I could knock out 250 rounds in about 2 hours on the progressive, faster if I didn't stop. Everything was automated but the bullet. Set the bullet on the case, pull the handle, and out pops a complete round. Repeat 250 times!

I was down in the basement the other day poking around and came across several boxes of .45ACP and .44mag that I reloaded. I haven't had either of those calibers in years, don't know why I still have them.

alhall88
12-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I need to get into reloading in a bad way. I shoot mostly 45 acp but soon I will add the 10mm to my fun and that is one expensive round.

Bob
12-24-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't think I'd have the patience to reload.

Mad Dog
12-24-2009, 12:46 PM
I have the Lee Loadmaster. It loads everything from pistol to magnum rifle. It works like a champ. I load .45acp, .44 special, .44 magnum, .223, .308. Got it from here. http://www.factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/index.html
Phone: (262) 673-1932 Great people to deal with. If you call, tell him I sent you (Don Hey). Both my Dad and I bought presses from him.

TopShelf Scott
12-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I'll be in good company, hopefully picking up my Glock 23 sometime soon.

That is also what I carry. Equipped with the crimson.

Gas Man
12-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't think I'd have the patience to reload.
Yeah I know I don't

Mad Dog
01-03-2010, 09:46 PM
What kind of rifles do you guys shoot? Do we have many long range shooters here?
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/P1010004-2.jpg

Bob
01-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I probably would have one if we had some outdoor ranges close to here. We used but but I think that went under a while ago.

All I have now is a single shot bolt action .22. It's fun to shoot because the ammo is cheap. haha

Gas Man
01-04-2010, 06:22 AM
City of Taylor has an outdoor range I believe.

Rider
01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
What kind of rifles do you guys shoot? Do we have many long range shooters here?
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/P1010004-2.jpg
Nice rifle. What cal is it?

I have a .308, 7mm-08, and a .22lr all in bolt action. I wont shoot a deer more than 200 yards away.

Mudpuppy
01-06-2010, 01:44 PM
i am game to go shoot anytime..

telecast
01-06-2010, 04:30 PM

You might want to rephrase that....

Mudpuppy
01-06-2010, 04:40 PM
nope that is my final answer..

when are we going to the range and what range? Let's do this..

seatmaker
01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I've got the P229 Sig Saur .40

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/alynchs/sig.jpg

Mad Dog
01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Nice rifle. What cal is it?

I have a .308, 7mm-08, and a .22lr all in bolt action. I wont shoot a deer more than 200 yards away.

It's a DPMS AR-10 Chambered in .308. Shoots sub moa with handloads.

telecast
01-07-2010, 07:43 AM

You might want to rephrase that....

nope that is my final answer..

when are we going to the range and what range? Let's do this..

Ok guys, you heard it here first. We're going shooting and Mudpuppy is the game. We can go shoot him anytime, he said so himself. :D

Mudpuppy
01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
don't do me any favors.. i have much more suffering and misery to live through before i check out..

that sig is bad ass.. if you are going to shoot me - shoot me with that..