View Full Version : Getting a title

11-27-2009, 06:41 PM
What's the process of getting a custom bike titled here in Michigan? Do all I need is all the receipts and a bill of sales on the engine?

11-27-2009, 07:11 PM
And I think the serial no.

Check on the MI SOS Website, they have a good section with that kind of stuff described.

11-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Here you go Todd:


Assembled Vehicles
Some owners want to know how they can title and register an assembled vehicle. An assembled vehicle is:

1. One built (assembled) from new or used materials and parts by someone not recognized as a manufacturer (usually an individual). Example: homemade vehicle.

2. One altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects its original manufacturer configuration. Example: a Volkswagen made into a dune buggy.

3. One which has had its body replaced with that from another vehicle. Example: pickup truck has its cab replaced.

4. One assembled from a kit (often called "kit cars"), even if a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin is provided.
Procedure to title an assembled vehicle:

1. You will need ownership documents for all vehicles or major component parts used in assembling the vehicle. This includes:
Assigned ownership documents (example: Release of Abandoned Vehicle notice from police department)
Original bills of sale

The following parts must be accounted for in the ownership documents presented:

Motor Vehicle Engine, Transmission, Body Parts (doors, front and rear clips), Frame including axles.
Motorcycle Engine, Frame, Front end assembly including the fork, Wheels, Seat
Titled Trailer or Trailer Coach Running Gear (frame axle and wheels)
You will need to bring these documents to the branch office.

2. You will also be asked to complete a certification statement summarizing the building of the vehicle. It should include:
A description of the vehicle and its parts,
Who assembled the vehicle,
When and where it was assembled or reconstructed,
Any special information about the vehicle to assist the investigator.

3. A Vehicle Number/On-Road Equipment Inspection (form TR-54) completed by a police officer must be submitted. The inspection will verify the vehicle has all equipment required for on-road registration.

4. All assembled vehicles require a state-assigned vehicle identification number (VIN). There is a $10 fee for this.

5. When you apply for your assembled vehicle title, tax is due on all parts unless paid at time of purchase.

6. A license plate cannot be sold until the Department's Investigations Division places the assigned VIN sticker on the vehicle and releases the new title to the owner. This will usually be about eight weeks from the time of title application. The Investigations Division will contact you for an appointment, usually at a local State Police Post or Secretary of State branch office. A 30-day or 60-day permit may be purchased if you need to register the vehicle before the Investigations Division places the new VIN sticker on the vehicle

11-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks Bob, good thing I know a few police officers who can help out getting this stuff done.