PDA

View Full Version : where to open

mrusedbike
11-23-2009, 11:01 AM
im thinking of opening a used bike dealer with service and parts.what city and where would anyone suggest..i have been looking for awhile now..somewhere in the metro detroit area..

Bob
11-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Honestly I think this area is saturated enough as it is and for the amount of bikes that are actually on the road in this area and with our winters I think it might be pretty hard.

telecast
11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
im thinking of opening a used bike dealer with service and parts.what city and where would anyone suggest..i have been looking for awhile now..somewhere in the metro detroit area..

Honestly I think this area is saturated enough as it is and for the amount of bikes that are actually on the road in this area and with our winters I think it might be pretty hard.

+1. Opening a shop like that requires doing some research on demographics. I don't mean to be rude, but if you're asking where to open a bike shop on a forum, you haven't done your research.

You also have the largest used bike dealer in Michigan right in your backyard, Monroe Motorsports. They carry hundreds and hundreds of bikes in all makes and models, all in excellent to like-new condition. They have buyers all over the country. I bought my Road King from them, the bike came from Indiana. They have excellent service and prices, and offer a 30 day warranty on every bike. Competing with something like that as a new start-up would put you at a major disadvantage right off the bat. Covering the 30 day warranty on a couple of bad bikes would be costly.

mrusedbike
11-23-2009, 02:33 PM
iv been researching for awhile now..just trying to get some input...research..

zamochit
11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
I would say somewhere downsouth would be the best place. Michigan's economy isn't gonna get better for quite some time.

Bob
11-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Another idea might be to power sell online. Build a nice website and sell all over the place. This could work if you had a niche maybe. Like if you only dealt with certain bikes like KZ's or something and you bought up a ton of them and fixed them or or sold them for parts.

junkyardjon
11-23-2009, 11:13 PM
first of all, whats your back ground?

mrusedbike
11-24-2009, 09:39 AM
arizona would be the place of choice,but have family and a wife who works here in mi so i have to settle for now here in mi...i owned a kawasaki dealer for about 6 years did great for awhile but the end of 08 it started gettn bad..lost most banks,and over head was the ultimate reason..want a small place no floorplan low overhead and work on nothing but customers service,and make the place a kinda of a destination rather then a place to come just when you need something..i was thinking about puttn a lounge in with pool table big screen tvs somewhere to hang out too...great service good prices,but trying to think of a good location..livonia,farmington,roseville,taylor..i have great mech,sevice mng,and honest sales people ready to go..just have to find a place ..

Bob
11-24-2009, 06:53 PM
arizona would be the place of choice,but have family and a wife who works here in mi so i have to settle for now here in mi...i owned a kawasaki dealer for about 6 years did great for awhile but the end of 08 it started gettn bad..lost most banks,and over head was the ultimate reason..want a small place no floorplan low overhead and work on nothing but customers service,and make the place a kinda of a destination rather then a place to come just when you need something..i was thinking about puttn a lounge in with pool table big screen tvs somewhere to hang out too...great service good prices,but trying to think of a good location..livonia,farmington,roseville,taylor..i have great mech,sevice mng,and honest sales people ready to go..just have to find a place ..

Sounds like a neat idea. I say Taylor because it's close to me. LOL

junkyardjon
11-24-2009, 06:55 PM
i have the arizona dream also.

hmm... i would go somewhere around roseville for the fact theres more population, maybe? it's a central location for alot of bike owners. hell i don't know but thats where i would look. most places don't work on bikes over 10 years old and thats a niche market. make sure it has a paint booth and hire me LOL

telecast
11-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Well it sounds like you have the background.

Why not do an internet yellow pages search for motorcycle shops and stick pins in a map where each one is, then find the empty spots? The next step would be to look into each spot and figure out why there's nothing there. If there's not enough customer base move on to the next. Seems like a good way to figure out where the competition is if nothing else.

mrusedbike
11-25-2009, 09:50 AM
iv been looking all around...trying to figure where the central population of bikers are..there is a place on grosebeck i was told was a bike dealer but it got leased out allready..i have an option to go anywhere to sell used but to get a new franchise you go kinda where they want you to go..the only thing with used is the cities zoneing.some are crazy.just trying to pick some of your heads since this is an all of michigan bike forum..where you guys would like to see a greatest place to go for great prices and great service,and i think i can hold my own with monroe..lol..thanks for the help..

RedneckMedic
11-25-2009, 03:27 PM
go downriver and push the rocket shop out prices are ridiculous there

mrusedbike
11-25-2009, 03:35 PM
wheres the rocket shop never heard of them..or are you talking about monroe pwspts..

RedneckMedic
11-25-2009, 03:37 PM
its on fort street in southgate

vortech302
11-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Is that the place attached to the lawnmower shop? You'd have to find a niche like the cafe racer shop in Ypsi, it would seem there's a straight up bike shop at least every 20 miles in this area.

Gas Man
11-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Is that the place attached to the lawnmower shop? You'd have to find a niche like the cafe racer shop in Ypsi, it would seem there's a straight up bike shop at least every 20 miles in this area.
Yes its behind M&D Mower. Which by the way Marvin ROCKS!

Bob
11-26-2009, 10:09 AM
its on fort street in southgate

I got a price from them to toss one some tires for me and they where the cheapest around. Are they high on parts? Maybe their service prices are low? I've never been in there though.

RedneckMedic
11-26-2009, 12:34 PM
ive had a few friends try to go in there and they both said it was the labor that was expensive but i have heard that the guys there are great one of them has a sweet busa

telecast
11-26-2009, 01:11 PM
but i have heard that...one of them has a sweet busa

Don't ever post that anywhere other than a motorcycle forum....

mrusedbike
11-27-2009, 10:30 AM
these two shop you guys are talking about do they only cater to sport bikes..cause im doing everything..and my one mech works on anything no matter how old it is..if we can get the parts we work on it..

Bob
11-27-2009, 10:44 AM
ive had a few friends try to go in there and they both said it was the labor that was expensive but i have heard that the guys there are great one of them has a sweet busa

Yeah he does. I've seen it around.

Bob
11-27-2009, 10:46 AM
these two shop you guys are talking about do they only cater to sport bikes..cause im doing everything..and my one mech works on anything no matter how old it is..if we can get the parts we work on it..

Cafe Racer is a shop/coffee house in Ypsi. It's sort of a niche place like you are going for.

One thing I'll recommend. Whatever you do, get a sweet website going. I see too many of these people using myspace as their "website" and it's so unprofessional. A good website will help draw in people from all over.