PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use an arc welder?

Bob
11-06-2009, 05:41 PM
If so what sort of work do you do with it? I'm looking for one but want to make sure I'll be able to do light work without blowing a hole in it. I'd get a mig but I think I prefer an arc welder for the lower cost and not needing gas.

Bob
11-07-2009, 10:41 AM
I've decided on a mig I think. I found one on CL pretty cheap so I'm hoping it's still available and I'll go get it this weekend.

junkyardjon
11-07-2009, 10:55 AM
only thing i use a arc welder for is when the loader breaks in the back lot, only a couple times LOL. for most people a mig is the ticket. you don't have to use gas, theres always flux core.

Bob
11-07-2009, 11:05 AM
only thing i use a arc welder for is when the loader breaks in the back lot, only a couple times LOL. for most people a mig is the ticket. you don't have to use gas, theres always flux core.

Thanks man. The one I'm hoping to get is just a 110v Craftsman. It comes with a tank and cart so that will be good to have.

You ever weld with flux core? How does that work usually? Get decent welds from it?

junkyardjon
11-07-2009, 01:46 PM
yes i;ve used flux core. it works fine. i known people who only use flux cause they don't like the gas. flux burns hotter, just more splatter and smoke. flux or mig, close to the same. it just a personal choice. i like gas mig cause it's cleaner.

i'm not sure what your gonna weld but remember different wire sizes for the task at hand. sheet metal you wanna use 23 and heavier stuff you'll wanna use at least 30, if not bigger. most people have fit's about sheet metal cause they use the wrong wire and burn through and go too slow.

Bob
11-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks!

Bob
11-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Went shopping for a welder this weekend with my dad, he's a welder, there are just so many to freaking choose from. It's funny because I've been reading on some welding forums and the guys that have never used a cheaper flux welder hate them and the guys that have actually used them say they are great for small occasional jobs. What I also find is that since a lot of the guys buying the cheaper welders are just starting off the welds suck. So people see that and say the welders suck. But I've seen some pros do some really nice welds with the cheaper flux welders. So I'm thinking with a little practice I could find a lot of use for the flux. I'm actually going to try and get one from Craigslist or something used. Maybe a flux that can be converted to a gas mig.

Gary
11-10-2009, 10:32 AM
A guy at my work is moving and is selling his 120V mig welder. It is gas and has a bottle I think its a holbart or something like that. He has been asking I think 250 for it.

Bob
11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
A guy at my work is moving and is selling his 120V mig welder. It is gas and has a bottle I think its a holbart or something like that. He has been asking I think 250 for it.

Could you get me a model number if you think about it? I'm leaning toward a Holbart right now as being the brand I want.
Thanks!

Gary
11-11-2009, 08:19 AM
he is out sailing the keys right now and will be back on monday for his last week of work. I will ask for some more info then

Bob
11-11-2009, 05:26 PM
he is out sailing the keys right now and will be back on monday for his last week of work. I will ask for some more info then

Thanks!

junkyardjon
11-11-2009, 07:01 PM
i have a hobart 125 at home and it works great.

Bob
11-12-2009, 09:19 AM
i have a hobart 125 at home and it works great.

That's the one I was looking at! Do you have the 125 or the 125 ez? I found refurbished 125 ez's for $209! But I think I might want the gas one day.

junkyardjon
11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
just the 125. the 125 ez came out after i bought mine. i used a 125 ez and didn't like it cause theres really no adjustment.

Bob
11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
just the 125. the 125 ez came out after i bought mine. i used a 125 ez and didn't like it cause theres really no adjustment.

I found a new 125ez for 1/2 the cost today. I think I'm going to get it. For what I'd use it for I think it will be good. I'll keep you all posted. My dad gave me welding helmet today so I'm getting ready. LOL

Mikekz
11-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey Bob, make sure you get one that is adjustable because depending on what you are welding you will want to adjust to what you are doing.Buy one that is gasnogas so when you get good at it you could add gas later.I use a Clarke 180en and I love the adjustability and the fact that it is 230v.Amperage plays a big part.You can get good welds with flux core.You can get good welds that are pretty with gas.

Bob
11-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Hey Bob, make sure you get one that is adjustable because depending on what you are welding you will want to adjust to what you are doing.Buy one that is gasnogas so when you get good at it you could add gas later.I use a Clarke 180en and I love the adjustability and the fact that it is 230v.Amperage plays a big part.You can get good welds with flux core.You can get good welds that are pretty with gas.

thanks man. i'm actually getting the 125ez. It's no gas but I'm getting it for dirt cheap new so if there is a need to upgrade i should be able to get what I paid for it easily.

Bob
11-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Ordered the welder on Sunday. Should be here by the weekend. I can't wait! Hopefully Saturday I have time to play with it.

Bob
11-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Got the Hobart yesterday. Got it running today and so far I'm loving it. We're really impressed with the welds it can do. I welded some 3/16 steel together today and it had great penetration and held up to a hammer smacking it in a vice several times. LOL