PDA

View Full Version : welding

ziek
11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Where do I begin to start learning how to weld. I have a basic idea but never welded before. What's a good welder? Mig or tig? Etc.

Thanks guys

junkyardjon
11-02-2009, 07:39 PM
all i use is a mig

ziek
11-02-2009, 07:41 PM
What kind?

zamochit
11-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I use a Lincoln Mig, but hear the Tig is easier to use. I am a horrible welder, but a great grinder;).

ziek
11-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I heard a propane cutting torch is a good thing to have too.

zamochit
11-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I heard a propane cutting torch is a good thing to have too.

A torch is always good to have around, not sure about a propane one tho

ziek
11-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Oh really, what shoud should I get?

zamochit
11-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Oh really, what shoud should I get?

At the shop we use Acetylene.

Bob
11-03-2009, 08:02 AM
I'd go with a mig. It's what I learned on. Don't get some cheapo welder either, get a name brand. Although it might not hurt to start with a Harbor Freight welder just to learn some things.

Your best bet is to find someone that can show you a few things and then just practice, practice, practice. I have not welded in years but I used to be pretty good.

junkyardjon
11-03-2009, 06:48 PM
i have a hobart at home
at work i use miller and lincoln
there all a good choice. buy a welder that you can buy parts for down the road. that means name brand. scan craigslist.
i can't tig cause my hands can't take it for to long, start cramping BAD. a torch is handy for sure. if you buy used tank's watch out for outdated take's. anything over 10 years and there outdated, there all stamped on top by the valve.

i would be glad to help you anyway i can, just say the word.

ziek
11-04-2009, 11:26 PM
i would be glad to help you anyway i can, just say the word.

I want to sidestep off topic real quick. Its people like you that keep the biking scene alive (and keep my faith in humanity). offering to help a complete stranger, that's just real cool man. There needs to be more people like you. I'm in the middle of moving right now but I might take you up on that. Thanks

snofrog
04-17-2010, 10:30 PM
monroe county community college has plenty of begginer classes . thats where I started :weld:

wango
04-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I bought a Hobart 140 MIG from TSC a few years ago. It does everything I need it to. It works great, and you can buy parts for it just about anywhere. I broke the handle once and bought the replacement through TSC. I was told that Miller was bought by Hobart.

junkyardjon
04-18-2010, 10:07 AM
i agree, the Hobart 140 is a very nice welder

Ziek, my offer still stands and i'd like to check that bike out anyways LOL

dave the welder
01-18-2011, 10:02 PM
i agree with jon mig is easier to learn tig takes LOTS of practice miller holds its value a little better than lincoln but both are very good

Mudpuppy
01-19-2011, 07:58 AM
i just started a welding class a couple weeks back.. mostly stick welding.. i have always wanted to learn.. i worked in a shop for quite a few years machining, etc. but never welded.. this is part of my ongoing ed-a-ma-kation.. part of the classes required for my degree..

Gas Man
01-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Welding for your degree? What degree? I thought you already had your BS in Hooker-o-logy?!?

Mudpuppy
01-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Welding for your degree? What degree? I thought you already had your BS in Hooker-o-logy?!?

no dickhead it's one of the required classes for my material sciences degree..

Bob
01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm actually going to try and get my welding certificate at HFCC if I can get my work to pay for it.

Mudpuppy
01-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I think its a valuable thing to learn imo...

apex factor
01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
i need to sign up for one of these community college welding courses. i have a welder, i believe a lincoln, stick welder.

Mudpuppy
01-20-2011, 04:24 PM
i need to sign up for one of these community college welding courses. i have a welder, i believe a lincoln, stick welder.

not sure where you are located but schoolcraft college in Livonia has an EXCELLENT welding program..

RedneckMedic
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
ive got the mig in the garage now just waiting for it to warm up and to have more free time to practice.

Bob
01-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Stick is easy man and you probably won't even learn stick in a community college. It'll probably be all mig and tig.

Bob
01-20-2011, 05:47 PM
ive got the mig in the garage now just waiting for it to warm up and to have more free time to practice.

We should have a welding party!

Mudpuppy
01-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Stick is easy man and you probably won't even learn stick in a community college. It'll probably be all mig and tig.

WELDING 113 at schoolcraft is mainly stick welding.. that's where you start I reckon..

bonus - just got an email from HR today that the company will pay for my classes..

apex factor
01-21-2011, 09:55 AM
not sure where you are located but schoolcraft college in Livonia has an EXCELLENT welding program..

hmm I'm out of rochester, so a little hike for me. I was thinking of looking at macomb community college or possibly around rochester?

Bob
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
WELDING 113 at schoolcraft is mainly stick welding.. that's where you start I reckon..

bonus - just got an email from HR today that the company will pay for my classes..

Cool deal. I was looking at HFCC and did not see any stick classes there.

Mudpuppy
01-25-2011, 10:43 AM
hmm I'm out of rochester, so a little hike for me. I was thinking of looking at macomb community college or possibly around rochester?

yeah it's a little drive for you.. but most of the people in my class don't live in the area.. according to what I know, which really is based on what the teacher said, there really isn't any other programs around.. not much demand for it.. there is schoolcraft here.. then in North Carolina there is a weld diving school that he says is a joke - it's all about diving but not underwater welding and if you want to learn underwater welding then you need to join the Navy.. then there is Hobart in Alabama or South Carolina and he said it's a good school but you better be born south of the mason dixon line or you ain't going to make it there... No quarter for us dirty yankees.. I can ask my cousin if Macomb has a welding program - he goes to school there now..

Cool deal. I was looking at HFCC and did not see any stick classes there.

If you want to come in one Saturday and check it out feel free.. If you don't have my phone number or email or whatever just PM me and I will send it to you. The teacher is completely laid back and said visitors are welcome.

apex factor
01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
yeah it's a little drive for you.. but most of the people in my class don't live in the area.. according to what I know, which really is based on what the teacher said, there really isn't any other programs around.. not much demand for it.. there is schoolcraft here.. then in North Carolina there is a weld diving school that he says is a joke - it's all about diving but not underwater welding and if you want to learn underwater welding then you need to join the Navy.. then there is Hobart in Alabama or South Carolina and he said it's a good school but you better be born south of the mason dixon line or you ain't going to make it there... No quarter for us dirty yankees.. I can ask my cousin if Macomb has a welding program - he goes to school there now...

If you wouldn't mind that would be great! I suppose I could get off my lazy arse and call. Or look on the website?

Mudpuppy
01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Nope no problem. I will check with him.

Mudpuppy
01-25-2011, 01:50 PM
he answers fast and says yes there is welding @ macomb so you are in like flynn there east sider.. remember WEST is the best.. west siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddeeeee bitches..

apex factor
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
hahaa thanks for the check!

dave the welder
01-31-2011, 09:14 PM
i noticed baker college in clinton twp advertising weld classes for all you eastside guys