PDA

View Full Version : I almost lost it all tonight...

Bob
10-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I was outside in the garage heating a nut on the vice with MAP gas. About 4 seconds into it the gas just exploded out the top. I don't know if it was a leak or a bad valve or what it was but the top just blew. So here I am holding this flaming bottle and just tossed it into the center of the garage. Luckily I keep a fire extinguisher in the garage and was able to run over and grab it and get the fire out before it got too bad. The garage is covered in a yellowish dust now from the fire extinguisher but at least I'm ok and nothing was damaged. I think I'm going to grab 2 new fire extinguishers and keep one on both sides of the garage from now on.

vortech302
10-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Holy crap, glad you didn't get hurt. Too bad I wasn't there, you could've tossed it into my car to contain it.

Bob
10-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks man. I thought for a split second to just let it go and get a new bike. LOL

zamochit
10-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Holy crap, glad you didn't get hurt. Too bad I wasn't there, you could've tossed it into my car to contain it.

LMAO, great post.

Bob, funny how you never think of things like letting it keep going, because its such a shock and so sudden when things happen.

Bob
10-17-2009, 11:27 PM
LMAO, great post.

Bob, funny how you never think of things like letting it keep going, because its such a shock and so sudden when things happen.

I thought about just running though. I was standing at the extinguisher and thinking, "Will this thing just blow and I should just run or will I be able to put it out before that happens?" It was making all kinds of weird sounds too. I should of just called Shawn to come put it out!

telecast
10-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Gald you're ok. Must've been a day for weird things.

I had to drop the bike at the dealer to have a new clutch cable installed under the warranty. Fishman came by to give me a ride home. I stopped to get gas, and 5 seconds after starting to pump, gas blew out of the fill hole like a fountain. I yanked the nozzle out and stood there, covered in gas. The bike was soaked, the seat, tank, everything up top. Fortunately not much got on the engine. I had some rags in my saddlebags, so I got one wet in the windshield fluid they have in the squeegee well and started wiping. The station owner came out with more rags.

Fishman looks down and notices kitty litter all over the concrete. I asked the station owner if it happened before. "Not like that" he said. Well, something happened before. I still needed gas so I restarted the pump and filled it very slowly. My face had gas on it and was starting to burn so I went into the bathroom and washed it. Good thing I had my leather and helmet on. I had to toss the leather in Fishman's trunk on the way back it stunk so bad. It got washed down and aired out.

After I got home I remember stopping there once with my truck and the auto shut-off didn't work. I ended up with gas all over the side of my truck. The pressure switch or whatever it is they use to shut the pump off must be screwed up. Still no explanation for why the gas shot out like that, it's never happened before. But if the shut-off was working it would've killed the pump. Looks like I won't be going there anymore.

Gas Man
10-18-2009, 12:31 AM
WOW guys!

I had a good day. Rode around town a bit... including a 120mph jaunt down the highway to out run some rain.

Fire safety at home... lets see. Being I do fire training at work and my FIL is a fireman. I have 4 fire detectors (range house with full basement). I have 3 CO2 detectors. And I have 7 fire ext at the house.

Kitchen
Top of the basement stairs
abt 10' from the bottom of the basement stairs
one just inside the laundry room (ie dryer fire)
2 inside the garage
1 outside the shed

I take this shit very seriously.

Good job Bob for taking care of biz. The powder is nothing compared to fire damage.

Tele... welcome to my world. When I get sprayed at work, I'm thank full if its just gas. Shit, you should be sprayed by red high sulfer heating oil or jet fuel. WOW!

Let the clothes air out for a couple days. Then when you wash them... spray them down with simple green like you would a stain remover but all over the clothes. Also use a downy ball in teh washer for the added smell coverage. They will come out fine.