PDA

View Full Version : I hate these "custom" shops.

Bob
10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I can't tell you how many "custom" bike builders I've contacted about parts on their site for size info. and what not and them reply with "I have no clue what size the part is." You'd think these "custom" builders would know a little more about the products they sell. Even if they are not actually making them.

zamochit
10-12-2009, 01:19 AM
I am learning that feeling oh so well.

telecast
10-12-2009, 08:42 AM
They don't know because most of them are building what boils down to a kit bike. They know what parts to order to put it together. That's one of the issues I always had with American Chopper. On the other hand, Jesse James used to fabricate everything including the frame.

'Kits' are great for a guy like me or you, but when you start calling yourself a custom bike builder you better be doing something more than pretty paint.

Gas Man
10-12-2009, 11:27 AM
I will repeat some of the following sayings of mine...

Cool ain't cheap

Custom don't bolt on

Shit like that comes to be learned by somebody if you turn enough wrenchs on these things. I'm not sure what custom shops you have been calling but I'm sure they aren't the normal greasers.

I know a couple old greaser guys. One in Birch Run and one in Hamburg. Both a good hike but they are old school and know their shit.

Further, have to you tried Detroit Bros?

vortech302
10-12-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't have anything to add to this, but Gas Man damn that GIF is funny.

Bob
10-12-2009, 01:17 PM
They don't know because most of them are building what boils down to a kit bike. They know what parts to order to put it together. That's one of the issues I always had with American Chopper. On the other hand, Jesse James used to fabricate everything including the frame.

'Kits' are great for a guy like me or you, but when you start calling yourself a custom bike builder you better be doing something more than pretty paint.

What really pisses me off is these builder selling Kraft / Tech and other brands as their own brand and selling it for 20 times what the stuff really is because someone thinks they are getting a custom parts. LOL Buyer beware. That's how I started selling KT stuff. I was finding all of these shops carried KT and sold it under their shop name for 10 times what you could get it at a normal shop.

zamochit
10-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Bob, now carry engines and trannies;)

Gas Man
10-13-2009, 01:05 AM
I don't have anything to add to this, but Gas Man damn that GIF is funny.
Yeah... I like it. Can't take it too seriously... just like life...

Berto
10-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Agree... bolt on "kit" custom builders. Those OCC guys are a scam and let their fame go to their head. Such pricks that think they are hot shit. Be glad you made all that money from doing nothing! sheesh!

telecast
10-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Agree... bolt on "kit" custom builders. Those OCC guys are a scam and let their fame go to their head. Such pricks that think they are hot shit. Be glad you made all that money from doing nothing! sheesh!

I heard they took John's chop (John and Kate Plus Eight) away from him! I haven't seen an episode of American Chopper in a few years, but for some reason I saw that one. Pop took Kate for a spin, what a train wreck.

junkyardjon
10-27-2009, 07:29 PM
thats why you'll learn to make what you need and not buy from a catalog. i do all the work myself from frames to paint to wiring.

Bob
02-15-2010, 10:29 PM
I was just reading a motorcycle magazine and they had a rolling chassis buyers guide. Man I was in the wrong business. Most of these "custom" shops in the magazine are just using Kraft/Tech frames and tossing on some wheels, tires, and bars and charging $3000 minimum! Some over $8000!

RoadZombie
02-15-2010, 11:55 PM

Just read this...I've always said the same thing. Jesse James starts with a pile of metal tubing, an engine and trans, and a couple tires and BUILDS a bike. OCC is just a bunch of puds who order shit out of a catalog and then weld bullshit on it. The only guy in that shop worth anything is Rick.

Bob
02-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Just read this...I've always said the same thing. Jesse James starts with a pile of metal tubing, an engine and trans, and a couple tires and BUILDS a bike. OCC is just a bunch of puds who order shit out of a catalog and then weld bullshit on it. The only guy in that shop worth anything is Rick.

And thankfully this is their last season! LMAO I hate the theme bikes. I actually liked the bikes that that Cody kid did though. Him and Vinny or whatever his name is started their own shop.

Chris300s
02-16-2010, 09:15 PM
I know a couple old greaser guys. and one in Hamburg. Both a good hike but they are old school and know their shit.
Are you talking about Beezer? He did a noce job on my dad's motor. I wish that I could find someone like that out here (on the Eastside).
Chris

RoadZombie
02-16-2010, 10:15 PM
And thankfully this is their last season! LMAO I hate the theme bikes. I actually liked the bikes that that Cody kid did though. Him and Vinny or whatever his name is started their own shop.

Wasn't aware of that. Gunna have to do some research now. LoL The only thing I really remember of Cody was that they did an old-schoolish chop for him because that was his thing. Probably the nicest bike they ever did on that show. Vince seemed like he had some potential too.

zamochit
02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Yup V Force. They even have a Tv series that was suppose to start called Throttle Junkies.

Gas Man
02-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Are you talking about Beezer? He did a noce job on my dad's motor. I wish that I could find someone like that out here (on the Eastside).
Chris
Yep... John is great!!

Bob
02-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Wasn't aware of that. Gunna have to do some research now. LoL The only thing I really remember of Cody was that they did an old-schoolish chop for him because that was his thing. Probably the nicest bike they ever did on that show. Vince seemed like he had some potential too.

Yeah, I saw some of Cody's, non-theme bikes down at Biketoberfest a few years back. I really liked them.

Bob
02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Yup V Force. They even have a Tv series that was suppose to start called Throttle Junkies.

Yep! That's it!
http://www.vforcecustoms.com/