PDA

View Full Version : What was your very first memory/experience with a motorcycle?

telecast
10-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Hopefully you guys will come up with some interesting stuff. As I said in my introduction, I started riding a minibike at age 9. But my first experience with a motorcycle goes back farther.

My aunt and uncle lived next door to us. My uncle, a WWII vet from the European Theater had somehow come up with an Indian 841, a 45 CI (737cc) V-twin shaft-driven bike from the early 40's. Only 1000 were ever made. Both Indian and Harley made shaft-driven bikes that were supposed to be used for desert warfare in Africa. When the war was over they sold them off as surplus for cheap. I'm sure that's how my uncle got his.

I remember that bike like it was yesterday. Olive drab paint, it had a solo seat so he'd sit us in front of him, mostly on the gas tank. We'd hold onto the gas/oil caps on the tank and put our feet on the engine guards. Most of these rides were only a few short minutes, once in a while we'd get a 20 minute ride, but between me, my sister and my cousins he usually kept it to down the street and back. But that was enough for a 3 or 4 year old kid to get the bug.

This'll make you cry:
He was big with tinkering around in the garage. At some point he decided he wanted to build a dune buggy, the classic kind with the fiberglass body. He needed torches, so he traded the bike for a used acetylene setup. Jeez.

http://www.carpictures.com/media/images/640/07DJH481920738B.jpeg

RedneckMedic
10-09-2009, 09:45 AM
it was when i was about 5 years old and i had a a little four wheel style power wheels and one day near a park by my house i saw a kid on a little dirk bike which i insisted was a "two wheel" power wheels and kept begging my mom and dad for when and never got but ever since then i had always wanted a motorcycle. my first experience though of being on two wheels was on my friends mini bike when i was about 8 or 9 that i fell off of but still hung onto the handle bars which pulled the throttle and i drug myself across the lawn and then i let go of it and it hit a parking block and fucked it all up. then my neighbors always had sprees that i wanted badly and i finaly got one when i was fifteen but two years ago it was stolen while i was at work and then last year i got my bike but i am still addicted to anything with two wheels and anything i can do to it whether it be ride them or work on them

vortech302
10-09-2009, 10:47 AM
my first experience though of being on two wheels was on my friends mini bike when i was about 8 or 9 that i fell off of but still hung onto the handle bars which pulled the throttle and i drug myself across the lawn

The first time I was on two wheels was a Spree that I crashed and broke my right arm.
I had wanted a motorcycle for a long time (about 8 years) and was with a woman that was totally against it. Well, things didn't work out, she filed for divorce and I think within a week I bought my GSXR. I was afraid of them for the longest time cause I've had friends get hurt and worse on them, so it was kinda like a face your fears thing for me.
But, my very first memory of motorcycles was when I was about 4 and I touched the hot straight pipe of my dad's friends Harley, I still remember crying about that. Maybe I should've stayed away.

RedneckMedic
10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
ya i went for a ride with my buddy yesterday who just got a gsxr 1000 and that thing is retarted fast...i can see where the fear would kick in especially when he went by me doing 150 and it scared the shit out of me and i wasnt even on the bike....i like going fast i just wish that his second day with it he wasnt doing shit like that especially never riding before except in the msf course

telecast
10-09-2009, 07:50 PM
He's a statistic, he just hasn't happened yet.

Bob
10-09-2009, 07:58 PM
ya i went for a ride with my buddy yesterday who just got a gsxr 1000 and that thing is retarted fast...i can see where the fear would kick in especially when he went by me doing 150 and it scared the shit out of me and i wasnt even on the bike....i like going fast i just wish that his second day with it he wasnt doing shit like that especially never riding before except in the msf course

A gsxr1000 as a first bike? I know he' a friend and all but chances are he'll be in the hospital soon.

Those things do like 150 in first gear!

Bob
10-09-2009, 08:04 PM
My first bike experience was on a Honda 80 dirt bike.

RedneckMedic
10-09-2009, 08:30 PM
ya i was worried for him yesterday and i tried talking to him but hes not going to listen to someone younger than him lol

Gas Man
10-09-2009, 08:42 PM
My father use to own a bike before I was born. Sold it to buy the family a washer/dryer for the house. When he lived with his parents he would drive it into the basement for winter parking (no garage). At our house, he parked it in the lower level of the tri level. Here's his 73 Yammy
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Family/73yamrd1.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Family/73yamrd2.jpg

But as a child I remember riding on the back of my uncles bike. I remember the wind, the noise of the motor, and everything. I was like 8yrs old
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Family/timchrisbike.jpg

The same uncle took me to get my first bike a 1997 Ninja EX500. Taught me in a parking lot and everything.

Fishman
10-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Back about 1970 or so a buddy of mine came by with a brand new Honda 750 Four..
A group of us were hanging out doing the hippy thing in a park...
I was wearing cut off blues jeans--nothing else..absolutley nothing else..
He says "come on I'll ride you down the street"---"okay' says I..
I climb on back with my bare toes curled around the hubs of the rear axle--no seat or sissy bar--nothing to hold on too--no helmet law's then either---this SOB takes off and didn't stop till we did about 20 miles round trip on the Southfiel E-way at about 70 MPH...The thought of ending up a pile of hamburger never entered my mind...it does now..

mo841
10-26-2009, 12:33 PM
my first experience was riding my brand new 80 cc suzuki dirt bike when i was in 4th grade. the first day i tryed to ride it was on christmass day and the throtle got stuck open and i fell off after the bike tryed to go over the fence.i didnt want to ride it again till that summer. it took me a while to trust it again lol.before that my dad used to ride me on his goldwing, I used to love going on rides.he let the bike sit for about 10 yrs befor i got it and fixed it up and now it is my bike and i take my 5 yr old son for rides