PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Clean Auto-Dry carwash kit

telecast
10-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I went to the store to get some good old Zip Wax for the bike and saw this. We have hard water which leaves a lot of waterspots. I can't even wash my dark blue truck at home, I end up taking it to the carwash anyway just to get the spots off.

The matte black powder coating on the Road King engine is going to be a trap for spots. This looks like it might be perfect.

You load the gun with soap and install a cartridge. The cartridge de-ionizes the water for a spot free rinse. It uses technology by Pur, the same type of thing that they use in faucet and pitcher filters.

The gun has an on/off for water and a 3 position selector. One for regular water for wet down and initial rinse, one for soap feed, and one for the de-inoized water for final rinse. Each selection has it's own nozzle built into the gun. According to the literature it will dry very quickly with no wiping.

It says the cartridge is good for about 10 auto washes, so figure 15 bike washes or so. Replacements are $7, or $0.70 per wash. The soap that comes with it is a starter, the full size looks like it'd last you all summer and costs $6. So, figure anywhere from $1-$1.30 per wash. Not much worse than Zip Wax or Dupont #7, a hellofalot cheaper than the car wash, and well worth it if it works as well as they say. The unit with the starter kit was $22 at Ace Hdwe.

The unit carries the Motor Trend seal of approval. If the frigging weather ever clears up I'll wash the bike down and let you know how it goes.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/rodi_2074_454061821

Gas Man
10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I have one. Hated it with the car. Just a PIA. Never really washed the chop. I should get it back out and try it on the hd. thanks for the reminder.

telecast
10-07-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm going to give it a shot tonight, hopefully. Nice thing: 100% money back if I don't like it.

What didn't you like about the system?

Bob
10-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I have one. Hated it with the car. Just a PIA. Never really washed the chop. I should get it back out and try it on the hd. thanks for the reminder.

They are junk. Just hook a water filter to your hose, use a quality car wash and you'd be all set.

Gas Man
10-08-2009, 12:10 AM
I knew you would jump in

telecast
10-08-2009, 07:58 AM
They are junk. Just hook a water filter to your hose, use a quality car wash and you'd be all set.

Ok, suggest a water filter. Which one can I get for $22 that'll remove calcium?

Bob
10-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Ok, suggest a water filter. Which one can I get for $22 that'll remove calcium?

Don't just think of one that will be under $22 because one you buy for your house will last a lot longer than 10 washes. If you go to Lowes or something you'll have a lot to choose from with different cartridges that will filter different things.

But in all honesty, I'd just wash with a GOOD wash, wash in the shade, and when you are done rinse with a steady stream of water and dry immediately. A lot of my customers who have hard water issue actually spray the car off with our Turbo Shine before drying. This will also help with water spotting issues.

telecast
10-08-2009, 06:35 PM
House filters don't remove calcium. To do that I'd need a softener or a reverse osmosis system. House filters are made to trap two things; spore, such as giardia or cryptosporidia, or sediment; such as sand and iron (if the iron isn't coloidal). For a filter to work it has to be a suspended solid. Calcium doesn't become a solid until it has a chance to come out of the water. When it's in the system it's in solution. I've had a house filter on my furnace humidifier, it didn't do anything, maybe bought me a few days before the calcium built up.

The 'ionization' this thing uses isn't real ionization, it's just a catch phrase. The filter is two stage that actually exchanges bad things in the calcium for less bad things. Although I don't know exactly what they have in there, the obvious first stage is sodium, basically working like a softener. The second one is tougher to guess, there are several things that could be used. I suspect the second one doesn't remove anything, it probably just sequesters it so it can't come out of solution.

At any rate, it'll either work, or not. If it doesn't I get my moola back so no loss. If it does, I'll be a happy camper.

telecast
10-10-2009, 01:33 PM
This thing works GREAT!

No water spots, period. No drying, although I admit to using a blower to get the water out of the nooks and crannies on the engine. The rest of the bike air dried. Not only does it work, but it makes things simple. No wash bucket, no running out of suds.

The trick to this thing is to 'chase' the regular water with the deionized stuff. Just start at one end and go. I washed the bike in sections and rinsed each one as I went, then hit it quickly with the filtered rinse. When the entire bike was washed, I went over it from top to bottom with the filtered stuff again.

But hey, don't take my word for it, the proof is in the pudding. Remember, this is absolutely NO hand drying, no rubbing, no wiping.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/telecast_photos/DCP02696.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/telecast_photos/DCP02698.jpg

Highly recommended, A-1. For $22 it's a no-brainer.

Gas Man
10-10-2009, 02:50 PM
oh yeah that is the trick. I have used it before but kinda forgot about it on the shelf.

Bob
10-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Glad it worked for you man!

telecast
10-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Well, don't run out and buy one unless you get a deal. Just found out they're discontinuing it. Crap. I'm going to try and find a few years worth of soap and cartridges so I can get some use out of the thing.

If I can find just the cartridges I'd be happy with it. Even though it'd be a pain, I can use regular car wash out of a bucket and the system for final rinse, that's really the best part.