PDA

View Full Version : New Helmet Standards

meinschaft
09-28-2009, 12:50 PM
FYI: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?_r=1&hpw

Safer or not?

Berto
09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I think European standards make more sense.

That whole 300g's thing is too much. It's true, the chances of you hitting the same spot twice is pretty much .0000001%. Dispersal of energy is the key...

I would wear a euro rated helmet and a non snell approved helmet... I think they are safer... IMHO.

telecast
09-28-2009, 01:15 PM
“What should the limit on helmets be?”...“They should be softer, softer, softer. Because people are wearing these so-called high performance helmets and are getting diffuse brain injuries — well, they’re screwed up for life. Taking 300 g’s is not a safe thing.”

“If you want to create a realistic helmet standard, you don’t go bashing helmets onto hemispherical steel balls. And you certainly don’t do it twice,”...an impact of 200 to 250 g’s to the head corresponds to a severe brain injury, that a 250 to 300g impact corresponds to a critical injury, and that a hit over 300 g’s is often not survivable.

“Over the last 30 years...we’ve come to the realization that people falling off motorcycles hardly ever, ever hit their head in the same place twice. So we have helmets that are designed to withstand two hits at the same site. But in doing so, we have severely, severely compromised their ability to take one hit and absorb energy properly.”

Probably the most critical part(s) of the article.