PDA

View Full Version : I'm fixing a hole, where the rain gets in...

telecast
09-26-2009, 10:16 AM
When I got the stuff home the other night I noticed the windshield bag had a large X shaped slice in the bottom of it. I asked the guy how he managed to slice leather that thick by accident. He said he had the bag mounted in a couple of different places and probably made ths slice for mounting in a way it wasn't designed to.

I thought about chucking it out, but the bag cost $90 and I want one, so, I decided to try and repair it.

I started with a piece of leftover black Tolex, which is material you use to cover guitar amps. I cut the piece so it lined the entire bottom of the bag from the bracket on the back to the latch on the front. A little contact cement and a 20 minute wait and the liner was installed. Now it's structurally sound, won't leak, and I don't have to worry about anything falling out.

The slice is on the bottom so you won't be able to see it, but I wanted it to be as good as possible. I stopped by Murray's and picked up a Permatex Leather/Vinyl repair kit. After the first application it was obvious I goofed, the stuff doesn't stick to flat surfaces very well. So I peeled it off and reapplied, this time only to the cuts themselves with almost no overlap. It turned out pretty well. You can see there's an imperfection but you can't see the slices. I would imagine with a little practice you could probably get pretty good with this stuff. I'll hit it with some leather conditioner in a day or so and see if it gets any better. Part of the reason it's so visible is I cleaned the area with acetone before applying to make sure there was nothing on the leather that would prevent it from adhering. Conditioner should bring back the sheen.

One more thing to do. It looks like he had the bag stored under some other stuff and the sides are crushed. I want to get them to stand up like they should. I'm thinking about soaking the sides in water and placing a small piece of plywood the same shape and size of the sides on the interior and pushing them outward with a spreader clamp, then set it out in the sun until it dries. Anyone have any other ideas?

Gas Man
09-27-2009, 10:05 PM
No more ideas... sounds like you got it covered.

Got any b4 and after pics?

telecast
09-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I can take some after, but didn't take any before.

Gas Man
09-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Well get to it! :D